DM 3200/4800 - Windows 10 Compatibility - My Final Results

Have you received the drivers yet?

Hi cmaffia

Working on a new location for files with Admin. Hang tight.

Any luck on finding a location for the Windows 10 IF-FW/DM MKII device drivers?
If not is it possible for you to email them to me?
Many thanks

Hello, I'm pulling my hair out trying to get my firewire card driver online. The desk says driver offline. I've tried all the suggestions here and nothing is working for me. I don't know if I'm doing things right or not. When I try to install the legacy driver from my computer it says the existing driver is up to date and won't give me the option to change it. I've re booted the desk, the computer and changed the cable. It even showed no cable when it was disconnected. I recently had the computer shop change my 250 ssd drive to a 1T ssd drive. They cloned the old drive to the new drive and everything else works great. The firewire chipset is Texas Instruments and I believe it all worked ok at one time on this computer. Haven't used it for awhile was using a tascam us1641 but need the DM4800 for a bigger project.It also doesn't show up on my Protools 12. Here are some of my computer details:
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 1511
OS Build 10586.420
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA750
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz 3.60 Ghz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen and touch is available for this display

@nflyte Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. I am curious. Have you thought about excluding your PC from the equation and perhaps trying to use another PC or laptop to communicate with the 4800. In my case, I can communicate with my 3200 and 4800 with either my Mac Book Pro, HP tower xw8200, and an older HP nx9420 laptop. All running different operating systems ranging from Windows XP to Sierra. You did not give much in the way of details in so far as your DM is concerned. Eg. firmware versions etc. Best of luck fellow Canadian.

I would hate to have to eliminate my computer. I am determined to make it work with my existing computer. My laptop does not have a firewire port. I have another computer I think is still on XP Pro that I will try as a quick try. My firmware is version 1.10 Build 88685.

First check system to see if the drivers for the firewire card in the computer work. (not referring to the iffwdm but to the pc hardware).

Hello, thank you for your reply. I went to device manager and opened the IEEE 1394 host controllers which has the Texas Instrument 1394 OHCI compliant host controller. I clicked on that and it says this device is working properly.

[QUOTE="When I try to install the legacy driver from my computer it says the existing driver is up to date and won't give me the option to change it. [/QUOTE]

I feel like this is the area where you need to go to work. I'm on my mac right now but I believe the process is something like Update Driver, Let me choose the driver from a list, and this where I get foggy. I think you need to download the legacy driver from MS and then navigate to a place to get to it.

I ultimately gave up on my DM4800 via Firewire and got a Moto 112D (a digital only interface) and integrated my DM4800 via AES cables. I was able to get the Firewire card working with my new computer but it never performed up to the level that it did with an older machine. Kind of a bummer to move forward in one way and back in another. Overall I am okay with the Motu. I have some incredible options that I never had before and my client monitoring environment has really become incredible. I'm okay with being all Thunderbolt into the computer now.

A thunderbolt extention card and an thunderbolt to firewire cable works really well by the way.

If you turn on the Dm before booting the pc. Then turn on pc. What happens?

Please check for updates. If Windows is updating in the background this may interfere.

windows is not updating. I shut down the 4800 and the computer. I stared the 4800 and it showed no cable connected when the computer was of. I started the computer and now it shows driver offline

Last edited:
Muziekschuur, I believe it was you that got me up and running the last time. Thank you for that. I am going to bed now but will be back at it tomorrow evening around 7pm. If your around I would like to continue with everything you can suggest. Much appreciated. This computer can't be replaced because it has such an expensive build so if it turns out I have to replace the firewire card to something compatible so be it but I really don't think that is the problem. Also the TM Companion software opens ok.

@nflyte, I emailed you a link for the IF-FW drivers as well as the MS legacy FW driver.

From device manager with the DM turned on and connected uninstall the IF-FW and also the drivers when prompted (if they are present) shut down the PC and DM disconnect the FW cable from the DM and reboot the PC launch the install package of the IF-FW drivers I sent you ( try the highest numbered package first) Shut down PC reconnect DM to PC turn on DM then PC should see both DM4800 and IF-FW in device manager under "sound video and game controllers" heading in device manager. NOTE: Make sure you are logged into windows as an admin. Also if you need to install the MS legacy FW drivers you should do so after removing the IF-FW driver and before reinstalling the new one.

Cheers,

I would hate to have to eliminate my computer. I am determined to make it work with my existing computer. My laptop does not have a firewire port. I have another computer I think is still on XP Pro that I will try as a quick try. My firmware is version 1.10 Build 88685.
I never said that you should eliminate your PC. Simply look at other options in order to pinpoint the culprit.

A thunderbolt extention card and an thunderbolt to firewire cable works really well by the way.

I had a great experience with my previous computer that had TB2 onboard. I used an apple TB2 to FW800 adapter along with a FW800 to FW400 cable and this was a flawless setup at low latency. On my newest computer build, with TB3, I leaned there's no TB3 to FW800 adapter and using TB3 to TB2 to FW800 to FW400 was a bridge too far and had all kinds of latency problems. I tried everything under the sun to get it working satisfactorily. Eventually my choices were to keep buying motherboards with compatible TB cards available to get a combo that worked or buy a new interface that was TB from the start. I've made lemonade out of lemons though. I am more capable than ever and often consider selling my FW card but I can still use it with my macbook the few times a year when I need it.

New threads

Members online