Soundaholic
From
Montreal, Canada
Website
www.cafejoya.com
Gear owned
DM4800 / MU1000
Hello all.

I have submitted a similar post over at the Soundscape Forum and I thought that I might run this by you folks as well.

If anyone here has had any experience with this, or a similar combination, your input / assistance would be greatly appreciated.

So, here is where I am at so far.

- I have my Red32 (external DAW) hooked up to my DM-3200 via three TDIF cables

- I run the Sounscape editor and mixer on a PC running Windows XP

- I created an arrangement with 16 mono tracks

- Into those 16 mono tracks I imported pre-recorded audio files.
- I am able to play those audio files and monitor them on my DM
- So I assume that some of my routing must be correct, maybe!

Here is what I have not be able to accomplish.

- Plug a microphone into channel 1 of my DM
- Arm track 1 of my SS mixer. No fader activity. Obviously, no audio was recorded.
- There have been times when I got a looping distorted sound and fader would rise and drop.
- I believe that this may have happened while experimenting with varying routing options.
- Unable to use the DM's remote layer to control SS. I have selected HUI Emulation

I do realize that the DM's strength lies in it's routing capabilities and wrapping my head around that process has been challenging to say the least.But, I embrace that challenge.

I think that it is important to mention that I successfully got all of the above functioning very well with the combination of the DM and Cubase 5.x. The connection used was the 32 channel Fire wire expansion card. When I purchased the DM I had planned all along to use it with my ReD32 and Mixpander 9 setup. For now anyway.

Forgive me it is late here and I may have left out some important detrails. I could provide screenshots at a later time if necessary. Thank you very much. Peter

Anyone ? No one ?

Well, I figured this one out on my own. Thank you @Peter Batah . Set the ReD32's clock to TDIF-A and I was off to the races. Not bad for a guy who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Next I have to figure out how to use the DM's remote layer with my Soundscape ReD32. The manual says that I should be able to communicate with the Mixer Software using several possible Control Protocols (HUI, MCU, JL Cooper etc.)

Last edited:
If your Soundscape DAW is a regular PC then you'll need to connect it to the DM using the USB connection. I wouldn't know which machine control template is compatible with it so you'll have to see which works best. You'll also need to configure Soundscape to use a control surface by adding and configuring Mackie devices control to the DM via USB. You said you did this in Cubase so it should be the same type of setup.

Thanks so much for chiming in Charlie. I value your input very much. If I had to describe the Soundscape ReD32, I would probably compare it to today's Protools HD offering. It holds up to 4 internal hard disk drives. But, I wouldn't necessarily say that it is a PC. A self-contained unit of sorts. No USB for sure. With version 7.x of the software we can skip saving to the internal hard drives altogether because we can save everything to the PC that hosts the mixer software.

If you don't mind and have a little time to spare take a look at pages 151-154 of the attached PDF. From what I have read, and you are definitely on the right path when you suggest that there will be some configuring to be done. Much appreciated. Peter

Attachments

• Soundscape Rear Panel.jpg
    Soundscape Rear Panel.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Soundscape-V7-User-Guide Legacy Console Manager.pdf
    769.7 KB · Views: 10
The Remote Layer requires USB connector to a computer. You may be able to do MIDI mappings from your Soundscape to the DM using the UDL (User Defined Layer). Jamsire has made 2 videos explaining the configuration process located in the stickies area. I'm just not sure if the MIDI configurations required are supported in your SS software. What does the SS software have over Cubase and other modern DAWs? I said this before when you said wanted to integrate the SS hardware with the DM...... To me this setup screams "limitations". You already have a DM with a IF-FW/DMMKII configured perf cult with Cubase...what else do you need? Start making music!

I do have the DM connected to my PC via USB cable. Which I assume is how I am able to use the remote layer in Cubase 5.x. Now it is a matter of figuring out how to do the same with the DM and the Soundscape v.7.2 mixer software via the legacy console manager.

I assumed that this hardware was an all in one DAW computer. Either way, read my post again above. I don't see the advantage of this setup.

Does the TDIF implementation on this unit support 32 tracks at 96kHz like the IF-FW/DMMKII?

@cmaffia This may not sound like the logical answer to your question about what the SS software has over Cubase and other modern DAWs?

- I purchased the SS ReD32, Mixpander 9, PCI control card, and JL Cooper CS 10-2 back in 2004 at a cost of approx 7K+. I guess you can say that it was ahead of it's time at the time. Life and Family became a priority and I never did get around to using any of the gear. So, maybe I am guilty of not wanting to let go. And, I don't have the heart to see it all go to waste. Not yet anyway! And I realize that it is that much more gear to deal with and have room for. I get that.

- I absolutely do not rule out using the DM's Fire Wire connectivity for 32 channels in/out. That would, in all likelihood require that I purchase a new PC. The SS can run on Windows XP with 2 gb of ram. I was learning the ins and outs of the DM using only Fire Wire prior to my receiving the 3 TDIF cables that took almost 1.5 months to get to me.

I sound nuts don't I?

In 2010 I was running my DM with Cubase 5 on a XP machine running at 2.4GHz (2 cores) with 4 GB of RAM and could record 32 tracks simultaneously at 48kHz without a hiccup.

I'm struggling to understand...if you have a XP computer, the Red32 with the PC interface, Soundscape and the JL Cooper control surface then why did you buy the DM3200? It seems like you already had a complete setup that you could have started using now and finally rid yourself of that 13 year guilt. Everything you had purchased in 2004 is encapsulated in your superior DM3200. In otherwords, you have a redundant setup that you're trying to use simultaneously without any technical advantage and in the process, limiting the capabilities of the DM3200 (more guilt!). At least that's my estimation. Seriously, if I were you, I'd stick with Cubase and your FireWire card and start recording music.

I hear you loud and clear Charlie. The long and short of it. By the time I was able to get "back in the game" so-to-speak SSL announced the end of all all sales and support for the the Soundscape DAW. If anything would happen to any piece of my ensemble then it would be the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

As I said in an earlier post I have never used the DAW. But, in order to do so, even without the DM I would still have to purchase decent AD/DA converter, mic presetc. As is, I couldn't really do much with it.

That's where the DM came in. Use it for the M/L in, Mic pres etc. And, because I knew about the Fire Wire connection before I purchased the DM I also knew that it would serve as a great backup solution. I may get up tomorrow and decide to use the DM exclusively. Keeping my options open and learning a heck of a lot along the way. Thank you so much for giving me great advice as always. Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated. Have a great evening. Peter

To me this is like buying a brand new car, taking the engine out and having your horse pull it to work.

If you have never used a DAW then you should start with Cubase (because you already own it) and the DM with the IF-FW/DMMKII. In my opinion, learning a dead DAW that is tied to dead hardware is not a logical road map towards the future especially when you own something that makes it even more obsolete. Cubase is extremely easy to use and is one of the highly respected DAW's out there. You are unnecessarily complicating your environment, wasting real-estate and increasing your learning curve with zero benefit. Sell the lot and get yourself a nice mic. I can say no more on this topic :).

P.S. - If I'm not mistaken, I see analog in's and digital outs on that Red32 which tells me there is A/D - D/A conversion going on.

How do i get all 16 chs to play sound at the same time I have dm3200 3 tdifs 2 adats i/o please help

Hello @Zach L You are not giving us very much to go on. I too use TDIF to record to my standalone DAW. I suspect that you do not have your routing setup correctly.

how to route ch 1 thu 16 with tascam iffdmwk 2 to tascam dm 32000 and tdif

I have a tascam dm 3200 a tascam iffdmwk 2

And a motu 2408 and pcie card for it on win 10 64bit.

Ineed anyone who can help me set up the iffdmwk 2 on win 10 64bit need a driver that works on win 10 64bit plus a diagram picture of the setup

And the setup diagram picture for the motu 2408. What i need is the picture of how to step by step 1 2 3s of how assign the slots in and outs to get all that i can out of my tascam dm3200 Please help anyone Thx send all info to Zlive69@gmail.com

New threads

Members online

No members online now.