Dm 3200 connection

I have a Lexicon Dual Reverb Efx processor and I'd like to hook it up to the DM3200, is it better to connect it using the Digital In/Out or the Analog In/Out.. I would like to record the affect and/or use it on my mic input channel (not to record the signal - can this process be explained as well)....thanks in advance.

I use the analog aux sends and returns for my Lexi verbs. Digital sounds like it would be ideal, but the clocking issues and reduction in bit depth would do far more damage to the signal than one analog round trip.

I have a Lexicon MX200, and I hook it up digitally. I really like doing it this way. My bit depth stays the same at 24bits and I bring the digital returns back into the board on a pair of input channels via s/pdif coax. I have recorded the returns as well. That's as simple as assigning the Digital INs to a pair of fire wire outputs to your DAW. Then just record that in a stereo track.
I have always felt that since the verbs/delays in MX200 are already digital, and the dry signal I am sending to it is via digital out of the board, why not keep it digital back into the board. No conversions. Same bit depth. I really like how it sounds. Just a matter of opinion, I guess. But I get no noise in the reverb tails that I can hear, so I'm happy.

I use an MX200 in 'Bi' mode: Assign Send/analog to Lexicon; digital/SPDIF back in. Because I always work at 96kz, I have to do it this way. The DM's DIGI2 input (the one I use for the Lex's return) is set to convert from 48kz to 96z which hasn't been a problem.

That same method would apply to anyone using an MX 200, or any outboard device limited to 48kz sampling rate.

CaptDan

I had a similar problem. I work at 88.2 and, as you said, the MX only works at 48Khz max. So, I picked up a pair of B'ringer Ultramatch Pros (DIG 1 and DIG 2) for halving the sample rate. Since these units are not AD/DA converters or preamps, or anything else that I would be nervous about, they work perfectly. Everything stays in the digital realm, and I use the DM's clock to slave them. I send my DIG 1 out at 88.2, down convert to 44.1 in the Ultramatch, to trigger the verbs in the MX, then return back to the board to up-convert back to 88.2. Now don't get your panties in a knot, I only do this for triggering the effects. For instance, everything in my mix stays at 88.2, but I might take a copy of my vocal track or guitar track and send it out to the MX or other digital effects (like a TC Helicon Voice Works) to jiggle the Delays or verbs in the MX, and then bring that back to two tracks in Reaper, to be mixed in. They sound fantastic and I don't have to take up two channels of analog outs or have to DA/AD convert. Just my way of doing it. Again, very happy with the results.

Now don't get your panties in a knot,

It would take a lot more than successful application of an audio device to get me that uptight. :)

I like your solution; if my MX200 weren't on the verge of failure, I'd consider the same thing.

CaptDan

That wasn't directed at you Dan, I was just expecting/preventing the possibility of an onslot of SR Conversion wars.

Reactions: captdan
Hi, everybody.. I need help, my console burned, a friend gave me a tascam DM-3200. Do you know if I can use the insert send as direct output (with eq, comp,gate) ? I'm using digimax D8 presonus and Focusrite Saffire 40 with sonar.
Thanks in advance

Another option for Monitoring... SPDIF out to something like a Presonus Central Station (which I currently use without issue) and gain 3 sets of monitor outputs, an additional metering system, ability to switch sources (It has 4 sources I believe), mono summing and volume pots to adjust output. Plus, the Central Stations circuitry is completely passive theoretically leaving the sound completely uncolored.

I’ve used this solution for a while now without issue but I will say I think the converters on board the Tascam seem to sound slightly more musical? Not sure if that’s good or bad at this point but I will know in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Do you know if I can use the insert send as direct output (with eq, comp,gate)?
Well, with the DM, the inserts are in the analog domain, right after the gain pots (trim). So yes, you can use the send part (half-plugging the mono jack) for a gain controlled signal - but you can't have the desk's EQ, comp, gate included.

setup motu 2408 to tascam dm 3200 and cuebase 8.5
and the same for tascam iff dm wk 2 whats the 1 2 3s diagram from beginning to end PLEASE HEALP

New threads

Members online

No members online now.