DM-3200 firmware update under Windows 7 64-bit SP1

Cloudy

From
Germany
Gear owned
DM-3200
Hello,

I encountered some problems with TM Companion and peforming a firmware update of the DM-3200 from 1.50 to 1.70 and thought I'd post how the problems seem to have been solved (rather by chance than by system).

First of all, I had no connection from TM Companion (tmc_install_90372_1.51_release) to the DM-3200, although all cables were correctly connected and the PC in an excellent state, including approved hardware and all Win7 updates installed. But after rebooting, the mixer surprisingly showed up in the Device Manager under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" as "TASCAM DM-3200". In contrast to the *.rtf file showed by the TM Companion after a connection failure although, there was NOT a second "TASCAM DM-3200" appearing under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers|USB composite device". And then, TM companion could connect the mixer.

After the connection established, attempting to update the firmware from 1.50 to 1.70 (dm3200_V17) repeatedly led to a hangup at "Packet 12" as in the enclosed screenshot. I then left TM Companion open, made the screenshot (Window|Screen_shot from the Main Menu) and retried updating the firmware without closing or restarting TM companion before; surprisingly this time the FW update succeeded!

I hope this information helps those, who encounter similar problems!

Peace!

Cloudy

Attachments

• __FWUpdateHangup_AR.png
    __FWUpdateHangup_AR.png
    3 KB · Views: 30
I could only perform a firmware update using TMC with a windows XP laptop. It kept giving a protocol error when trying to check the mixers current firmware version. Odd thing is everything else with TMC and windows 7 works

That was my experience too, years ago. Only could update mixer firmware from an XP machine. That was from an older TMC version thjough, I see I went to 1.72b3 last year so that must have gone without hiccups from Windows 7.

I tried last week with 1.72b3 with windows 7. No such luck for me.

cmaffia: where did you download the 1.72b3 from? because as far as I saw, Tascam only offers the 1.70 for download.

Arjan: as my solution was rather by chance than by system, I thought it could help if I tell how it finally worked step after step (even with seemigly unnecessars steps like the screenshot inbetween). I also attach a screenshot of my device manager, maybe someone wants to compare or reply with an own screenshot? it's from my win7 64-bit SP1....

Attachments

• __DM-3200 with FW and USB connected and working.png
    __DM-3200 with FW and USB connected and working.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 39
Look at sticky for FTP site for beta files.

You should always boot the dm3200 first before turning on your computer.

Screenshot looks normal.

Last edited:
FYI
Just made a firmware downgrade, and then an upgrade from a windows 10 machine on two dm3200 without any problems at all. The undelaying system on windows 10 is basicly the same as windows 7, so it should be a no truble session ;-)

Thanks for confirming you can do a downgrade as well

Hi everyone. I am Herman living in the Netherlands and I am a songwriter too. But now I am completely desperate. I had an Behringer mixer but replaced it for a Tascam DM4800 with Fire wire card. IF-FW/DM Mark II I work with an HP laptop with I7 processor and W7 64 bit. My firmware is 1.60 and Fire wire card 1.10. I tried to connect the fire wire of the DM4800 with the HP laptop. Only when I start the laptop new I get Card OK and the other fenster Connected, but it switches between online offline and cable not connected. but when it is connected it just does not do anything in Cubase 5. Nothing is moving... So I Wanted to start upgrading the mixer. USB is connected and the TM Companion is working. I have downloaded the original upgrade from the Tascam site. 1.70. When the upgrade starts it stops with 5 percent, I tried with version 1.62 same result. I tried with an Windows XP laptop with only USB no fire wire. Same result it says. TIMOUT ERROR. When I check the DM4800 and run the internal testing program for communication it says TIME OUT for everything.
I also tried to upgrade the fire wire card. With the software. But nothing happens Something should happen when starting up the software but I can only see that the card is working

SO PLEASE HELP...
Thank you very much I am a newbe and do not know what to do I can not make music anymore and it makes me depressed.

New threads

Members online