DM 3200 reamping with no reamp box

manyoto

Gear owned
DM3200
Hello everyone,

First I like to say I am no expert on the tascam dm3200, so every answer will be help for me :)

My question is how can I reamp a clean guitar signal from a track in dm3200 to a guitar amp and send back to dm3200?

At this time I have this equipment:
1.Electric guitar
2.Palmer PDI-09 The Junction
3.TC Electronic Nova system
4.Peavey JD30t
5.Tascam DM 3200

So, I don't have a reamp box.
Do I need a reamp box however or I can do this without it?

Thank you in advance,
Manyo

Assign your track to an assignable send to your amp

Best bet is with a reamp box. Here's a good price on a Radial. One could probably argue that sending out a really low line level signal might work, but given the mismatched impedance, it is not a good idea. If you plan on doing a lot of reamping, this box will serve you well. If you are looking for something with a few more features, I have a little labs redeye that I highly recommend.

Oops, I replied over you C. Didn't know you were there.

Best bet is with a reamp box. Here's a good price on a Radial. One could probably argue that sending out a really low line level signal might work, but given the mismatched impedance, it is not a good idea. If you plan on doing a lot of reamping, this box will serve you well. If you are looking for something with a few more features, I have a little labs redeye that I highly recommend.

+1

While technically you can "make it work" with a low level line out, there are some complexities at play.

A typical guitar outputs a signal level around .5-1V (Which is not far below the fairly standard +4dBu reference level). However, a guitar has s significantly higher source impedance (on the order of several hundred K ohms), whereas a typical line output has a source impedance well under 100 ohms.

Signal is always transmitted between devices as a *voltage*. But that voltage must be developed across the the input impedance of the destination by the source impedance of the source.

Without going into all the nitty gritty details of Ohms law, signal transmission is "easiest" when the input impedance is about 10x higher than the source impedance. This is called a bridging input.

In line level interconnects you usually have a source impedance < 200 Ohms, and an input impedance in the 10-20k ohm range.

Guitars, with their very high source impedance, have great difficulty driving line inputs to the proper voltage (that's why guitars "seem" to be low level when connected to a line input).

Guitar amps are therefore usually set up with a very, very high input impedance, usually on the order of 1M ohm.

A line output has absolutely no problem driving this 1M ohm input. However... the design of the circuitry in the amplifier assumes the source impedance is going to be on the order of several K Ohms (a guitar). And depending on the topology of the circuitry, this could potentially have ramifications in terms of frequency response.

That's not to say it will sound "bad". But the circuitry will not be operating under the same conditions it would if the source were a high impedance.

The only way to properly simulate thus high impedance source is with something like a reamping box.

But again, a line output *will work*, it may just not yield the same sound / tone you would expect.

Thank you all for the info.
As I supposed I will need a reamp box. But one more question, my Nova System has a drive input where I plug my guitar and a Line input.

Can this Line input be a better solution than direct from assignable send to amp?

Assignable send - Nova system Line input - Nova system output (guitar amp) - Mic - Mixer

Thank you again :)

Thank you all for the info.
As I supposed I will need a reamp box. But one more question, my Nova System has a drive input where I plug my guitar and a Line input.

Can this Line input be a better solution than direct from assignable send to amp?

Assignable send - Nova system Line input - Nova system output (guitar amp) - Mic - Mixer

Thank you again :)

That would work. In that case you're using the Nova just like a reamp box.

Excellent replies Bob, thank you!

Why do you even need to "leave the board?" There are some great guitar distortion stuff in the internal effects in the console. Check em' out!

I haven't played with those too often Jam, do you have a favorite or two? especially for a distorted rhythm?

You know, that's actually worth a video production. It's a little thing I discovered and taught myself to do. I'm a geetar man forever and I have so much geetar stuff, but with this awesome board of ours, I found this trick to be quite awesome. Someone make a thread to remind me to do it.

What trick? Recording a dry guitar and playing it through a guitar modeling effect on the DM?

What trick? Recording a dry guitar and playing it through a guitar modeling effect on the DM?

Not a cool idea? Too basic/ obvious?

Well, my two cents:

Jamsire's got a point - many of the DM's sims 'n gtr efx are quite useful. Although I personally prefer mics 'n amps, I've used a few of the DM's distortion efx with good results.

However - and this goes to the point of the previous post about impedance, etc - I've never achieved solid tone from any of my (passive) electrics going straight into an outboard pre or a DM input without some kind of D/I to massage the impedance. My usual weapons of choice are a Countryman or the Focusrite ISA-1's D/I input. With either on the front end, the results - including the DM amp sims' performance - is audibly improved.

Jes' sayin'. :)

CaptDan

New threads

Members online

No members online now.