DM display

I think we are talking about 2 different things Peter. This user is installing the replacement LCD screen. As far as the installation of the 2SeeMy card, the installation manual speaks for itself.

Sorry about that. I guess I was thrown off when I read black & white LED replacement option. My bad. Have a good one C

Hi just to clarify, yes, its an LED replacement screen. B&W is my preference (clearer to my fading eyesight), though the supplier apparently can get a blue version if you want it. It's sourced from a UK based eBay seller, whom I think has been discussed before with mixed opinions (I seem to remember the thread but haven't looked recently tbh). As I have the meter bridge installed plus 2 monitors above the desk already, I haven't the space for the 2seemy option & this is now cheaper at £150GBP plus post, so here goes! I'll feedback with pics sometime next week, after I've installed it.

Re the installation process, he has told me there's no need to open the machine as its a plug n play job; all I have to do is take off the bezel and...It appears to prise off (I've not tried it yet, it's always a tricky thing trying not to break it!). Anyone done this, or is it better to open it up & do it from the inside? Suggestions welcome..

This individual is totally incorrect. You absolutely must open the unit to replace the LCD as there is only one way it comes out... 4 screws behind the bezel. You also need to disconnect the very fragile ribbon cable from the old one plus there is a wire lead from the LCD to the contrast control board which needs to disconnect as well. This misinformation is part of the reason I was suspicious of this seller in addition to his blatant rudeness. Do not listen to this person if you don't want to destroy your DM3200 and let us know if this part is compatible with the DM series.

http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/new-lcd.546/

I just read his updated eBay ad. I think you misinterpreted his "plug & play" marketing speil.
He is not saying you don't have to open the DM to install (you do). He is saying there's no soldering required. The original Tascam replacement would also be "plug & play" for that matter as it installs the same way. It may work from his description and finally photos of it installed in a DM. However he was such a condescending prick, I wouldn't buy this from him even if it cost $1.00! Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up, though he definitely indicated to me in a direct email that it's not necessary to open the machine, after I'd queried his ad. However, I wasn't convinced and it makes sense from what I've seen that you need to open it up, so I appreciate your input and will go with your experienced view. Better safe than sorry, eh?
As to what he's like to deal with, he seems reasonable enough so far, being fair to the guy, albeit with a hint of an English eccentric, but let's see what happens when the screen arrives..
I'll let everyone know how it goes next week. If it's a success, then it's another option for everyone here with the same problem, as he seems to be able to get hold of these screens quite readily. And the price has dropped by £50 over the last few months too...

Reactions: Peter Batah
So what's the verdict?
In the meanwhile someone posted this

Nice share C. Appreciate it.

IMG_2894.jpg IMG_2900.jpg

Ok, update time. A little late, as it took longer to deliver from the UK to France. A hold up in customs, according to the guy, then I was busy with house/studio renovation stuff. Any way, here's the skinny. Apologies for the lack of how to pics, but he provides pictorial installation info anyway, and it was a slightly stressful experience (read on!) so I kinda forgot..

1. Installation: Despite his insistence that it was possible to do without opening the machine, I decided to follow advice on here. 10 minutes, a dozen or so screws (NB - careful, there are several different types used!) and the centre section is open, display accessible. Looking at it, you probably can pop the whole display bezel out and do it that way (as the display actually screws into the bezel assembly), but it seems more fiddly to me & I'm prone to breaking things I have to prise open...

Then - minor niggle 1; the replacement display is actually physically slightly smaller than the Tascam original, so only 2 holes line up with the display housing. To get around this, he supplies two washers to clamp the new display in place. Sounds fiddly and is, but once in, the display is secure.
He provides good clear instructions on fitting the display, see them here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7EcSsF92KI3aHJMNGYzTVktbnc

Follow them and you can't go wrong except that -
Minor niggle 2; the plastic plug for the backlight (pic 8) supplied on the new display was too loose after I'd cut back the plastic on the existing connection. Perhaps I cut too much off, either way I was forced to use the original plug with the wires soldered to those on the new one. Workable, but not plug n play! So be careful if this is the case & be prepared to do this to get a good connection. Tip - do it before you screw the display in place!

2. Setup: Once in place, screwed in & soldered, you have to tweak the settings using the 2 pots he's soldered to the board for that purpose, so do this before you screw the desk back together again. Wires are long enough to re-seat the centre section and adjust the display from your preferred angle so again, it's fiddly but not difficult. I was faced initially with a blank white screen, but one pot sets the correct brightness for the display, the other the contrast, thus allowing you to set it to your preferences. Once you're happy, screw the desk together again & test it all!

Minor niggle 3; viewing area is not central in the "window" (as I pointed out earlier, it's not the same size exactly as the Tascam orig.). You get used to it, but some would find it irritating and there's no positional adjustment possible.

3. Was it worth it? - well, my original display was still readable, but I decided that it was only a matter of time before it became illegible. This way I got a clearer display, the old one is still there in an emergency & the job is done before I build the desk into studio furniture and make the job even more fiddly!

Conclusions: It's much clearer than the Tascam orig, and though I'd prefer a bit more contrast its still legible from wherever I need it to be (i.e. standing or sitting and from both sides). Due to my studio setup, the 2seemy option was ruled out, so it was either this or a new Tascam display. This was slightly cheaper than that, and you can get one in blue apparently, if you want that, I just preferred b & w.

Installation is not as easy as he says it is, but anyone competent with a screwdriver & soldering iron would be able to do it with patience & a steady hand. Pics are of the before & after & if you'd like to ask me questions about the experience please feel free. This or 2seemy? I'm not going to speculate as I haven't seen a 2seemy installation & its not an option for me, but on balance, overall, I'm happy...

@Paddythemac Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Sounds a bit tricky but you pulled it off in the end. That's what matters I suppose. Enjoy your new display and here is to hoping that it lasts for many more years to come.

Beer mugs.png

No problem, I hope it helps owners suffering with failing displays make a call on how to go forward. For my two cents, I think if (or when) your display starts to fail, its certainly an option worth considering, especially if you can't have or don't want the 2seemy solution. and at the moment he's selling for £150GBP plus delivery, which is £50 cheaper than the Tascam version I saw advertised. And it's sharper & clearer IMO.

As far as the 2SeeMy card installation. I've done it twice on both of my DM3200's. Truly a plug and play experience.

Yes, I looked at 2Seemy at one point and it did look simple enough, plus I did like the idea of a bigger display area for the desk. For my working environment though, already using 2x 27" displays for the DAW above the desk plus the meter bridge, I just didn't have the space for a third monitor where I would like it to be (straight in front of me!), so replacement was my only other option. Installation surely wasn't a stress free experience if I'm honest, though it is clearer/sharper than the Tascam part (which is still apparently available and probably easier to install!) and the guy seemed helpful enough, if not entirely familiar with the DM3200. I suppose everyone's situation is different, I'd now say there is perhaps another alternative to the Tascam display which seems to work...

Hey Paddy, thanks for the report. Good to know of another display alternative!
One question: you mentioned setting the brightness/contrast on the new display PCB, before closing the desk again. Does that mean the contrast potmeter of the desk has lost its function?

The small black contrast pot still works, though the range of adjustability doesn't seem quite as broad as with the original Tascam display. The basic setup is thus: soldered to the replacement display are two very small pots on longish wires , adjustable with a jewellers screwdriver. Once installed, I closed up the centre section of the desk carefully leaving the pots exposed so that I could adjust "in position" as in the pic below. Once I got it as good as I could, I put the wires back inside the desk (taped to the underside for neatness).

I can still use the black contrast pot for fine tuning, but I'd recommend spending a few minutes getting the display close to where you want it contrast-wise before screwing everything back together, as that gives you the best result.

IMG_2897.jpg

Thanks for the info. Can you post a video showing the contrast variables?

Last edited:
There might even be yet another screen that is compatible. One of my used DM3200's came with an LCD screen that is NOT the original model It is slightly smaller and could only be mounted by 2 screws. I replaced with the original from another unit. I will dig it up from my closet take a photo.

Reactions: Arjan P
hi you still have the instructions iam in trouble and may can helpme

greetings
View attachment 1409 View attachment 1410

Ok, update time. A little late, as it took longer to deliver from the UK to France. A hold up in customs, according to the guy, then I was busy with house/studio renovation stuff. Any way, here's the skinny. Apologies for the lack of how to pics, but he provides pictorial installation info anyway, and it was a slightly stressful experience (read on!) so I kinda forgot..

1. Installation: Despite his insistence that it was possible to do without opening the machine, I decided to follow advice on here. 10 minutes, a dozen or so screws (NB - careful, there are several different types used!) and the centre section is open, display accessible. Looking at it, you probably can pop the whole display bezel out and do it that way (as the display actually screws into the bezel assembly), but it seems more fiddly to me & I'm prone to breaking things I have to prise open...

Then - minor niggle 1; the replacement display is actually physically slightly smaller than the Tascam original, so only 2 holes line up with the display housing. To get around this, he supplies two washers to clamp the new display in place. Sounds fiddly and is, but once in, the display is secure.
He provides good clear instructions on fitting the display, see them here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7EcSsF92KI3aHJMNGYzTVktbnc

Follow them and you can't go wrong except that -
Minor niggle 2; the plastic plug for the backlight (pic 8) supplied on the new display was too loose after I'd cut back the plastic on the existing connection. Perhaps I cut too much off, either way I was forced to use the original plug with the wires soldered to those on the new one. Workable, but not plug n play! So be careful if this is the case & be prepared to do this to get a good connection. Tip - do it before you screw the display in place!

2. Setup: Once in place, screwed in & soldered, you have to tweak the settings using the 2 pots he's soldered to the board for that purpose, so do this before you screw the desk back together again. Wires are long enough to re-seat the centre section and adjust the display from your preferred angle so again, it's fiddly but not difficult. I was faced initially with a blank white screen, but one pot sets the correct brightness for the display, the other the contrast, thus allowing you to set it to your preferences. Once you're happy, screw the desk together again & test it all!

Minor niggle 3; viewing area is not central in the "window" (as I pointed out earlier, it's not the same size exactly as the Tascam orig.). You get used to it, but some would find it irritating and there's no positional adjustment possible.

3. Was it worth it? - well, my original display was still readable, but I decided that it was only a matter of time before it became illegible. This way I got a clearer display, the old one is still there in an emergency & the job is done before I build the desk into studio furniture and make the job even more fiddly!

Conclusions: It's much clearer than the Tascam orig, and though I'd prefer a bit more contrast its still legible from wherever I need it to be (i.e. standing or sitting and from both sides). Due to my studio setup, the 2seemy option was ruled out, so it was either this or a new Tascam display. This was slightly cheaper than that, and you can get one in blue apparently, if you want that, I just preferred b & w.

Installation is not as easy as he says it is, but anyone competent with a screwdriver & soldering iron would be able to do it with patience & a steady hand. Pics are of the before & after & if you'd like to ask me questions about the experience please feel free. This or 2seemy? I'm not going to speculate as I haven't seen a 2seemy installation & its not an option for me, but on balance, overall, I'm happy...

Hi Ignacio, I'll sure try if I can, though at the moment I can't find the actual instructions :(. There is a pdf on here somewhere which shows you how to open or take apart your desk if that's the problem, if you can't find it I still have that, so will post it if need be. Re the actual display, if you've got yours from the same guy as me (on eBay), he will give you instructions via email (or eBay message), though strangely his Google Drive pics aren't there anymore, so you may need to ask him maybe if he has them somewhere else. Also I did write my experience up earlier in this thread, so that might be of help. Please post again with a little more detail if you can and I'll try to help further, though I'm not really an electronics maintenance guy! If you take it slowly and carefully it is relatively easy, if a bit fiddly - and you will need a soldering iron..

New threads

Members online

No members online now.