DM-4800 channel failure

Marvel

Veteran
From
The Netherlands
Gear owned
Currently in between gear
Hey guys,

Picked up my 4800 last Thurday and very happy with this fabulous machine! Still working out the immense load of features and possibilities. For sure I will check back here often for advise and tips.

But one thing is wrong with this console and already I need some council on this. When I bought it, I was already aware that the fader motor on the physical channel 8 /32 is no longer working. Also the encoder is broken off, but this can be easily glued back on.

However it turns out that there is a serious problem with the sound, which is very distorted. Here's what I have found out so far:
- First of all, the M/L input on the module sounds fine.
- The only other input I have is the FW card, so it feels as if something might be wrong there. The distortion sounds a bit like clipping, or drop-outs. Hard to hear, but it certainly has a 'digital' kind of feeling.
- The input is coming from Logic, and it's a mono channel. If I send a stereo signal (to module 7/8 or to 8 only), everything sounds fine.
- When I send THE SAME CHANNEL from Logic to a different module (e.g. 9 or 7), everything sounds fine! Of course I tried all this with different channels from Logic, all with the same result: stereo sounds ok, mono crap, on module 8.
- When I send the 'speaker' output from the computer to 7/8 (using iTunes), everything sounds fine.
- And here it is: when I put slot 1-8 on another module/channel, e.g. 7, the distortion is on that channel!

Well, I am lost here. Is there anything I could check to pinpoint where the problem must be? Does my last point prove there is something wrong with the FW card? It looks like it is just a coincidence that I first discovered this on module 8, since it is only logical to punt slot 1-8 on module/channel 8. Has anyone heard of something like this before? And of course most importantly: can this be solved, or do I need to replace the FW card? Or could it still be something else entirely?

My passport: macOS 10.13.2 / Logic 10.3.3 / DM-4800 firmware 1.72b / FW-driver 1.30f10

Any help or advise is very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Marcel

Did you try reimitializing the mixer to a default state? Are you sure that the previous owner didn’t set up channels 1-8 to an internal effect on the mixer, perhaps a distortion effect, compressor, gate settings or something else specific to those channels that would cause the distorted sound?

Hey @cmaffia, yes I'm fairly sure there is no routing from the channels to any effect, dynamics or otherwise. At least as far as I know at this point this would show in the Module screen, right?

I guess I could reinitialise the whole thing. Is that what can be found in the service manual which is in the Documents section here?

Apart from this you have never heard of a failure on a single channel in the FW card?

Thanks, @Peter Batah. I also found it in the service manuals, it is indeed the same procedure.

So, this didn't help. I wasn't really expecting it to. But better try everything of course. I also have an SRAM INIT option 'for factory', which doesn't appear in the service manual. I don't dare to use that one. Should I? Maybe it brings me back to firmware 1.00, so I could try one of the older firmwares. Perhaps the last stable one, since I am using a beta firmware apparently. Haven't read anything about any known issues though.

So back to square one. Anyone have any other suggestions?
In the meantime I can work around this by sending a stereo channel to Channels 7/8. Just shuffle around a bit with the order of instruments. At the moment I'm sending the overheads there when I am mixing drums, so that fits nicely.

Try it. You have your settings backed up on your CF card?

Yes I have. I made a project - aptly named 'test'! :) - and saved it to the card. So let's give it a try.

EDIT: Unfortunately this didn't help either. I think I will try a different sample freq to see if this solves anything.

Last edited:
Quick update for all concerned. I started a new project in Logic with sample rate 48kHz. Did some tests and so far slot 1-8 is behaving nicely. Easiest workaround I can think of, if it keeps working like this. :)
Will post back if anything changes.
Cheers,
Marcel

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Staff online

Members online