DM-4800 has suddenly stopped playing sound

551Studios

Gear owned
DM 4800
I've had this board hooked up for the past year and it has worked flawlessly. While recording today, it randomly quit playing music. Just out of the blue. Checked all connections, restarted everything, checked software (everything like Logic and CuBase recognized the board, as well as the system) but sound would just not come out of the board for whatever reason. My machine is a last generation Mac Pro, running Mavericks (unless it just randomly updated to Yosemite without me knowing).

I'm hoping nothing fried or got messed up internally... I'm honestly unsure, I suppose it could be a software issue as well... Maybe I need to re-program or re-setup the board from scratch or something... Either way I'm in dire help because I need to get back to work on my project to meet a deadline. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

When your DAW is knowingly producing output and the meters in the software are moving do you see any indication on the meters of the DM4800? How about stuff like clock source or sync?

I'd first rule out FireWire issue first. When it quits playing, what is the status of the FireWire card. Check the Tascam Firewire utility. Is it Locked with the DM4800?

wm_b, When Ch 25-48 are selected on the board (buttons next to the master fader), I see meter activity on my meter bridge. Also, in my DAW's, active inputs will pick up sound from the board. The board's machine control features still seem to work as well, I can play and stop a project in a DAW from the board's controls. Still kind of a n00b admittedly, not sure what clock source or sync means.

Cmaffia, my IF-FW/DM mmII control panel ap says under "status": no device found. However, everywhere else the board is seen (Daw's, system preferences etc.). I'm assuming this means it's not "locked" with the board.

I messed around and searched the board, remembered how to go to the screen that shows Firewire status, it says that it is indeed "locked". Not sure where this leaves me, wondering if I should try a different FW port on my computer.

If the IF/FW control panel is saying no device found then that's the problem.
You need to look at your computer and firewire connection.

Thanks for the help btw, what/where should I look on my computer or FW connection? The chord I've been using for the past year seems to be a decent chord, it's never moved or touched really, I'd have a hard time believing it's bad. What would you suggest trying? Trying a different FW port on the computer?

Something is making it loose connection. Hardware conflict? Have you added anything to your system? The DM should be the only device on the firewire card being used. Not sure what OS changes you may have done to cause it to stop working. Another cable wouldn't be a bad idea either.. try new port first.

I switched to a new port, rebooted the system (only after sort of resetting up the board first), and it seems to be fine now... Odd... In the FW ap it still says "no device found", but it's working flawlessly like it was before now... Any idea what that could be about?

This not correct. Something is wrong. Your FW Control Panel absolutely should find the firewire device. How else would you change your buffers?? It seems like you have a firewire driver/hardware issue with your MAC.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online