DM-4800 headphone musician distribution help

Papillon

From
Miami, Fl
Gear owned
DM4800/2-192hd/+Analog Gr
Hello, hope all is well. I'm new here and new to the dm 4800. I just set it up 2days ago and I've been able to pretty much get the machine up and running with my reading and research. My question is how can i configure the head phones for each individual musician. for example, i have a drummer and he asks me for more bass audio in his head phones and less guitar, then the guitarists says i need less vocals, the bass also says he needs less guitar. Ive been looking all over on line and theres literally nothing i can find. I have printed the manual and will be reading it tmrw so please no read the manual responses, i simply need a step by step if anyone has the time to help thanx in advance.

Here's one way I've done it although now I'm using Cubase's Control Room which is easier and gives me more control.

Option 1:

Configure your board and route a pair of assignable sends (ie Aux 1-2) to a headphone amp, press the AUX button in the ENCODER MODE section and send signal from each channel using AUX 1-2 (headphone mix). On my DM3200, I have set up the board so I can have 2 different stereo headphone mixes. AUX 1-2 for the drummer and AUX 3-4 for the vocal booth. I have a 2 channel headphone amp to accommodate this. I believe the DM4800 has more AUX sends that the DM3200, but if you needed more headphone mixes you could double the count by sending mono mixes rather than stereo.

Option 2: (if you have Cubase or your DAW has a Control Room feature)

I use Cubase's Control Room feature which uses "CUES" (AKA headphone mix). In the VST Connections/Control Room settings in Cubase, I created 2 stereo outputs to the DM3200 via firewire (CUE1=SLOT1-25-26, CUE2=SLOT1 - 27-28). From the Cubase Mixer, I send track volume to each CUE (headphone) mix by using the CUE1, CUE2 Sends from each track. I then go to the stereo pairs that the CUE mixes are returning to on the DM3200 (25-26, 27-28) and control CUE mix volume using the AUX send process I explained above which again go to my headphone amp. Cubase Control Room lets me quickly audition each CUE mix with a click of a button. It also lets me route the metronome to the to either or both of the CUE mixes, just the Console Room monitors or to all-of-the-above with a click of a button.

Also need to mention that while I am performing the above process, the channel being recorded is is being sent to AUX1-2, AUX 3-4 as well so that there is "zero" latency.

There may be other ways to accomplish what you want but either method I mentioned works so try both assuming you have Cubase or if your DAW supports a similar Control Room feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Papillon
This is very simple - and not software specific.

1. I use a Behinger HA4700 headphone Amp with four channels. Each channel has an AUX input.

2. I use a patchbay

3. I have all eight AUX's in the back of the DM going to the patch bay

4. There are eight available AUX's to use in the DM

5. I connect each AUX output from the DM through the patchbay, into the AUX input of the headphone amp (I have two, giving me eight inputs). Note: Behringer makes a sexy eight channel headphone amp with eight AUX inputs

6. The Behringer receives a stereo output from the DM - I personally use the Control Room output. Works for me, others use different things.

7. The Behringer unit allows you to "mix" between the main stereo and the AUX input from the DM.

8. Let's say the drummer is on headphone channel 3 on the Behringer. I will take the AUX 3 out from the DM and and physically plug it into the AUX in of the headphone amp channel 3. Then, on the DM, if the drummer wants more bass, but less guitar, I will turn up the AUX 3 on the Bass channel on the DM, and turn down the AUX 3 on the Guitar channel on the DM.

There ya go.

Hope it makes sense - it's just like an old school analog board. If you got the analog cards, you could do a similar thing.

Bye.

Wow guys thanks you guys are great. both methods make sense, i will try them now and see what works best for me. I am using Pro tools but i have a template that i used with my old allen and heath analog board and a patch bay which has all my headphone sends already made similar to Mr CMAFFIA's method. Ill keep you posted if anything, thanks again for the prompt response. P.s. I have to thank you Mr Jamsire I used your video on the midi setup. You were great and very clear on ur teaching. must of taken allot of time just to help us out. Thank you!

This is very simple - and not software specific.

1. I use a Behinger HA4700 headphone Amp with four channels. Each channel has an AUX input.

2. I use a patchbay

3. I have all eight AUX's in the back of the DM going to the patch bay

4. There are eight available AUX's to use in the DM

5. I connect each AUX output from the DM through the patchbay, into the AUX input of the headphone amp (I have two, giving me eight inputs). Note: Behringer makes a sexy eight channel headphone amp with eight AUX inputs

6. The Behringer receives a stereo output from the DM - I personally use the Control Room output. Works for me, others use different things.

7. The Behringer unit allows you to "mix" between the main stereo and the AUX input from the DM.

8. Let's say the drummer is on headphone channel 3 on the Behringer. I will take the AUX 3 out from the DM and and physically plug it into the AUX in of the headphone amp channel 3. Then, on the DM, if the drummer wants more bass, but less guitar, I will turn up the AUX 3 on the Bass channel on the DM, and turn down the AUX 3 on the Guitar channel on the DM.

There ya go.

Hope it makes sense - it's just like an old school analog board. If you got the analog cards, you could do a similar thing.

Bye.
Jamsire,

I looked in the back and i do have the analog card. does that mean i can route it to my patch bay and use my existing pro tools template by just routing the I/Os just as my old setup?

I just tried this, I'm super lost trying to wrap my head around this. sorry guys.

Last edited:
Bought the Beringer 8 channel, ill keep you posted lol

Last edited:
Jamsire,

I looked in the back and i do have the analog card. does that mean i can route it to my patch bay and use my existing pro tools template by just routing the I/Os just as my old setup?

I just tried this, I'm super lost trying to wrap my head around this. sorry guys.

I'm not sure I understand your previous template - but the simple answer is YES - you can route signals through the analog card (I have THREE!), and go to the headphone amp. I haven't used one of the cards yet, I saw it on eBay for a great price and just bought it - but maybe I'll try your idea and see if it makes sense. It actually does make a lot of sense.

Thanks again for the kind words regarding my video.

I'm not sure I understand your previous template - but the simple answer is YES - you can route signals through the analog card (I have THREE!), and go to the headphone amp. I haven't used one of the cards yet, I saw it on eBay for a great price and just bought it - but maybe I'll try your idea and see if it makes sense. It actually does make a lot of sense.

Thanks again for the kind words regarding my video.
this is my first pic upload so bear with me if it doesn't go thru. Anyhow, I ended up buying the 8ch headphone amp you suggested and about to try to install it now lol.

As far as my template, attached you will see a pic of what i came up with and have used for years in the box and my old allen and heath. As you can see each instrument sends its signal to headphone bus. now if Bass needs more drums, I go to drum bus and raise were it says bass, if guitar needs more bass i go to bass and raise grr send on bass. then on my patch bay all see stereo converters on 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 each go to the musicians headphone.

I also took the liberty of attaching the desk I just build for my new DM-4800 (its 99% complete) it cost me a little under $450.00 and I will be more than willing to share my pics on how i did it plus my dimensions. Its the only thing I can offer this forum as a big "Thank You" as of now, because I'm a new user of this console.
20150806_204249.jpg

20150806_203604.jpg 20150806_203632.jpg

Well, Ummmmmm.....I still don't get it, but like I mentioned previously, my solution is hardware based and does not rely on software - and I use PT as well. I hope you get the results you're looking for.

Dude, is that a Novation Supernova in your rack? I just sold mine. Hadn't used it in years. I have a Kurzweil K2000R for sale, too. :ugeek:

Reactions: Papillon

New threads

Members online