DM 4800 & Muto 2408 Mk 3 TDIF Issue

darkjoint

From
London, UK
Website
www.myspace.com
Gear owned
DM4800
My DM 4800 is connected to my Mac (10.10.2) via PCI 424 card & 3x Motu 2408 Mk3. The connection is as follows;

DM4800 Channel 1-24 -> Motu Mk3 TDIF
DM4800 Channel 25-48 -> Motu Mk3 Adat
DM4800 Channel Aux -> Motu Mk3 Analog

I am using Logic Pro X and can send signal to all channels between 1 - 48 except 3&4 on Tdif. The channel routing are identical for 1 - 24 on the Dm and i can see the signal on the 2408 routing to 3&4 but not on the DM. Channel 27 & 28 works fine on Adat but not 3&4 on TDIF. Any ideas of how to resolve? Thanks for your help.

I've got to guess that this has something to do with the mixer software that comes with the PCI424. If the DM routing is truly identical for 1-24, then that should be the cause. But I would check the input settings for TDIF 3&4 in your DM routing page, again just to be sure. It should work for all channels with the way you have it setup. If you see the signals for 3&4 in the 2408, then that means you are sending those signals from your computer to the DM via TDIF, passing first through the 2408. BTW, was all this just another way to avoid the FW card?

Thanks Tascman, I am still getting to know this board coming from a pure analogue background. Yes with the FW card in logic. I do all my writing in Logic and spread the tracks across 48 channels on the board. When i switch over to protools for mixing i then bounce things down to 32 channel and work with the FW card. Logic does not give me the option to use both drivers or maybe i don't know how to set it up but that is a workflow and workaround solution. I will take a look at the settings again on the DM as they are identical (default) with the rest of the 24 channels so not sure where else to look prior to my post.

I see what you are doing, and understand that it is working from an electronic point of view, but can't believe that this is the most efficient way to do it, especially since you have the firewire card. Do you typically record 56 (48 digital and 8 analog) individual instruments and voices all at the exact same time? I am guessing you do a lot of live recording work with different bands at the same show.

I could possibly suggest another more efficient way, if you are interested.

Hey guys, I'm a little late to this party but was hoping someone on this thread could help me with a related problem. I'm using a MOTU 2408, 896 and 8Pre alongside the DM 4800. The ADAT link between the interfaces and the DM 4800 is fine, as are the analogue connections, but the TDIF connections are problematic (i.e. making me want to eat my own face!). They wont communicate with the desk at all, and the TDIF info page on the DM 4800 shows all input details as "unknown", althought the output info is fine. I've attached a copy of the TDIF query page. Please help if you can, you awesome audio geniuses, this is really driving me nuts.

Attachments

• Tascam TDIF issue.jpg
    Tascam TDIF issue.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
It's got to be your TDIF cables. Did you buy the basic 25pin DB25 D-sub to 25pin D-sub cables? If you did, these are for balanced analog signal transfer only. They will not work on digital TDIF connections. TDIF is a Tascam specific protocol, that requires a TDIF cable. The TDIF cable pinout is different than the analog cables that might be cheaper. This would explain why your ADAT and analog connections are doing OK. There's only one type of ADAT cable.
Try at least one truly labeled TDIF cable. I bet that is the issue. BTW, time for a new display. Give Tascam a call for that part. It's easy to replace. Don't eat your face over it!

Thanks for the reply TascMan. We're using cables by Hosa, bought from studiospare.com. They claim to be tdif cables on the website, but do you know of any particular site where I can pick up guaranteed tdif cables from?
P.s. The screen is pissing me off too, but it was an ex-display desk. Do you know how much replacements are off the top of your head?

New displays are around $250 from Tascam. Or - you can invest in a '2-Seemy' card to use an external (meaning 'larger') LCD monitor.

Or - if you're feeling well-heeled, you can install both. :)

CaptDan

2 Seemy card sounds interesting. Thanks Captain!!

Here is quick update guys. It appears that it was just "one of those cable moments. I order a new cable and replaced the "faulty" cable and Channel 3&4 are now working. Strange thing is the "faulty cable" works fine with a mates dm 24 just fine. Tascman I would love to hear your approach. I am very much interested in a more efficient way of using this board. Once again thanks all for your help with this.

9dark joint if you want use both drivers in logic x. You will need to setup an "aggregate device" using audio midi setup. It's really simple to do; if you goto the Applications folder than open the Utilities folder you will find the Audio Midi setup program. It should open up to the audio devices window, where you will see on the left side all of your audio inputs. At this point, highlight the Motu device and the FW device. Now a t the bottom there is a plus and a minus, click on the plus a drop down will appear (Create Aggregate Device) and (Create Multi-Output Device). Click "create aggregate device" then like magic a new audio device will appear with both the FW and Motu devices combined. All thats left to do now, is choose which channels to activate for each device and rename however you want. When you open Logic, choose the new audio device you created and access to both devices will be available. I hope this helps.

Reactions: darkjoint

New threads

Members online