DM3200/Logic Pro automation question

fclum

From
Bronxville, NY
Gear owned
DM-3200, IF-FWDM MKII
I have a 3:45 piece that I created in Logic Pro 10.3 (hereafter referred to as "Logic") that uses extensive and complex auto moves created using the DM3200's built in automation. I need to add a :30 introduction to the piece, which is essentially completed. How can I either add blank time at the beginning or reposition the regions that I've recorded in Logic and still maintain the correct locations for the automation moves on the DM3200? I know how to add time or reposition in Logic, but how will the automation moves in the DM3200 know about the new event positions in Logic? It would be a drag to have to do all the auto again! I was reading about Meta Events in the Logic manual. Is that something that could be of use in this instance?

Hi, listen, I'm new to this machine, but I have an idea that might work if you don't get a lead, and you don't find the answer on your own. You can create the intro in a separate project, you know, like a separate song from the part you already have done and automated, then create a project in your daw where you connect a two track final of your intro with a two track final of the part you already have completed with automation. Might take some nudging to get the intro and the part you have done aligned right where you want them, but that's an alternative versus completely having to start over, especially if it is sounding exactly like you want it, and you have hours of work into it. I'll keep an eye out here if someone tells you how to add space at the beginning or in the middle of a project, though, because I'd like to know myself.

Thanks for that tip but I'm not sure if I understand what you're suggesting or if you understand the issue. It's possible that you do and I'm just not understanding your suggestion. The automation I'm referring to is the DM3200's automation not the auto recorded into the Logic Pro tracks. The DM's auto is only aligned to the time code coming from the computer from Logic Pro to tell the DM3200 where in the arrangement the song is located. No elements of the DM3200's automation events exist in Logic Pro or anywhere other than within the DM3200 (Other than MIDI events that may have been recorded into Logic to events such as program changes or system events).

Are you suggesting that I create a separate project in the DM3200 and a separate Logic project for the intro I want to add and somehow switch between the two Logic documents (one for the newly created intro and one for the original piece) and the DM3200's new intro project with it's own auto recorded into the DM3200 and the main body project thats already recorded into the DM3200's automation memory on the fly, perhaps using a MIDI event sent from Logic to the DM3200?

I think that moving the audio and MIDI events in time within Logic Pro would change the location of the mixer moves that were recorded into the DM3200. The mixer doesn't know anything about what's going on in Logic other than the location in time and the auto events in the mixer are affixed to those SMPTE locations. So theoretically you could run a completely unrelated sequence than the one that the auto was originally recorded for and the DM would still play the auto from the original piece although it has nothing to do with anything (other than time) in the unrelated piece.

I'm thinking now.

I'm assuming you have a way to make a two track digital master of what you have finished that sonically reflects all the fader, panning, automation moves, etc. you have completed using the audio sounds within the DM 3200, to where, as an example, you could send a two track master to a friend, and your friend would be able to hear the entire work including all the attributes that the Tascam board provides, just like you hear it when you play it back from the multitrack files themselves. I'm saying complete a digital two track master as high quality as is at your disposal of the completed main body of work that reflects all the sound alterations that the DM 3200 provides and save that two track master to your computer. Create a two track master of the intro as well, that reflects all the fader moves, panning, effects, etc. as suggested for you to do with the main body of work. After you have a two track master of both the intro and the main part of the song or project, create a new project in the DAW that you are using, drag the intro two track file into the DAW creating a stereo audio file in the DAW's new project, then drag the two track main body of your work into the track space below it, creating a second stereo audio file, then position it to start right where you want it to at the ending of the intro two track stereo file. This gives you the freedom to create the intro as long as you want, and still preserve the body of work you have completed without having to create a space at the beginning of your multitrack files of the main body of work you have completed. The only caveat of coarse would be that once both the intro and the main work is mixed down to two track master files, there isn't any independent multitrack tweaking you will be able to do, just volume adjustments of the independent two track master mixes. Sonically, though, unless you were creating a multitrack project to be used in conjunction with a live performance situation, I think doing it that way would achieve the same final result for those who would be listening to your work.

I'm guessing moving the Logic session to the right and rebuilding the automation would be faster than these seriously admirable attempts at work arounds!
Would love to hear the track, Fclum.
The DM's automation is a blast! Good job putting it to work!

New threads

Members online