DM3200 with Cubase 8 - Remote Device - setup

Thank you..Maybe you can also tell me how to connect the midi cables from DM4800 to the Firewire card. Or is that not necessary. In the manuel I can find nothing about connecting midi cables. also not on google. Very strange. Also the Midi set up. so many possibilities, With me it is just standard cause I did a factory reset..In the mean time I figured out the mackie control with Arjan from the forum here, also living in NL. you just have to add 3 mackie control and just juse midi 7 for mackie control midi 6 for mackie control 2 and midi 5 for mackie control 3...So far so good. All in and outputs MKII are activ. Only the faders and encoders and remote is not working. Maybe it has something to do with my midi set up? The remote parameters are all ok I did the check with the PDF how to set up remote, So Now I do not know anymore. only thing I am not sure about is the midi cables. But I guess it has nothing to do with remote controll since that goes trough USB right? Thanks greetings Herman from the Netherlands

@Herman Bo Follow the link below to some screenshots that I put together for you.

As I said in an earlier post, this setup gives me full control of transport buttons and faders

https://app.box.com/s/bky0qbs855i9omudf4i3df8gf1qsvxyg
https://app.box.com/s/bky0qbs855i9omudf4i3df8gf1qsvxyg
As far as my cabling is concerned: I have a Firewire cable going from my expansion card to my PC. USB on the back of my DM to a USB port on my PC. I have the midi out from my external recorder plugged in to the midi in of my DM (Not the firewire expansion card) This I use to get timecode from my external recorder. USB out of my M-Audio Axiom 61 to USB in on my PC

Here is a link to a great Youtube tutorial that was generously shared by @jamsire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRJ7myDcU68&t=282s

I hope that I have been of some assistance. I too am fairly new to the mixer as well. Best of luck. Peter

Thanks. for the pictures. However I have the DM4800. But what I do not understand is your setup in the vst connect menu. Should it not be with the input: 32 mono inputs MKII to activ all inputs? And in output 2 x stereo output to activate the 2x stereo outputs. or maybe even 32 mono outputs? Just a question. I am a newbe as you know. The rest I already have done. as I followed the links Cmaffia gave me. Like the 1.3f MKII driver and the MKII is V1.10. But I do not understand why the faders, encoders and remote record play stop do not work all lights are dark and no fader is moving in Bus layer, or any other layer. not in cubase or DM, TMC 1,51 is working. I put in cubase mackie control on MKII midi 7, mackie control2 on Midi 6 and mackie control3 on midi 5. just like the instruction. I activate the MKII soundcard. Status om DM is OK. and connected,,,I use legacy firewire driver. And put in DM remote both on 24 steinberg. I connected USB and is working, otherwise TMC would not work. So I do not know what is wrong. Maybe you have any idea or someone else? What I also notice is that in the device setup when I click on audio card MKII the Clock is gray. you can not change it... also the light of the layers are red for bus layer. is that normal? Layer 1-24 also red 25-32 orange. Aux layer green and the next also green. Maybe is normal? Thanks Herman from the Netherlands.

Last edited:
@Herman Bo You are not obliged to use / activate all 32 channels. You may be working on a small project that only requires 8 channels of audio. Why would you want to activate or create 32 mono input / output? Not always necessary!

I used a very simplified example in the screenshot that I sent you. I usually like to buss my individual channels to my cubase stereo master which I output to channels 31/32 of my DM. You may have also noticed that in the Remote Devices section, I have setup Mackie Control on USB[6] and Mackie Control 2 on USB[5]. It really doesn't get any more complicated than that. In so far as getting the encoders to work with your plugins, that is another story. That setup is well documented in the Jamsire Youtube video link that I posted in my last message. Don't forget to make sure that TRA is armed in your Machine Control List / MACHINE CTRL. See screenshot in the link that I sent you

Hello Peter, Thank you very much for all the work you have done. I compared the screen shots and all the parameters are the same. I understand that for small projects you do not use all out and inputs of cause. Now I understand it. thanks. Still I have no clue what I do wrong Pfff. Maybe the Legacy driver is not ok? Even when the status is connect? and card is OK? But I will go on. This way I learn more and more, about the DM but I would rather make music than this of cause. Maybe you or someone else have a solution? Thanks Greetings Herman

As I mentioned in our private chat, the legacy driver has nothing to do with control surface. The legacy driver link I provided works in Windows 7, 8 and 10. Using the legacy driver is mandatory if you want stability and best performance. The legacy OHCI 1394 driver is for your FireWire port/card which the IF-FW/MKII FireWire card plugs into. FireWire transfers audio and USB transfers MIDI timecode and remote layer control surface. You need to read above link to set up machine control in the DM if you haven’t done so already. Until then you will not be able to control Cubase via the Remote Layer...We understand you want to make music but you need to learn your board now that you’ve committed to owning one. It has a somewhat steep learning curve but trust me when I say investing some time in learning it will go a long way.

Hello Cmaffia. Thanks for the feedback. Also about the Master clock that the internal clock is what is the right setting.
Nice link you gave me to a lot of documentation all together.
When I have the DM working I will surely study it.
But first I need to get the DM transport remote working. I did everything you told me. followed up all the links installed all the drivers. Only thing I am not sure about is the legacy driver. Status card is OK and connection is good, However, could that be the problem? I am going to try other drivers. Maybe you know were to download a working legacy driver for windows 7 64 bit? Does it need to be a special driver for the HP Elitebook maybe? Or is it universal for W7 64 bit?
Another thing what is strange is that in TMC with firmware update (link you gave me) after 5 percent I get message protocol time out. Don't you think that is strange?
Greetings Herman

Read the 2 links I provided regarding Cubase and setting up Machine Control and follow them step by step. You never confirmed you set the Machine Control settings! You need to do this to get Cubase and the DM to talk to each other.
Again, the legacy driver has nothing to do with your issue. If you’ve installed it and the DM is reporting online and OK, then move on. Also the clock has nothing to do with your issue. Unless you are connecting external digital devices and for some reason you need to make the DM the slave, the DM is the master clock by default with the internal clock setting. What version is your current firmware? If it’s at 1.61 or higher then you should be fine where you’re at. I could never get my DM’s to upgrade using anything but TMC in Windows XP.

Good luck!

Herman,
Maybe this helps (sorry, only in Dutch):

Klokken en Transport
  • Hiervoor is USB verbinding nodig tussen DM en PC.
  • Op de DM:
Scherm Automation: MTC USB moet geselecteerd zijn.
Scherm Remote:
- Tab Machine Control:
in Machine Control List toevoegen (selecteren met pod 4): M MC Steinberg
TRA selecteren
Rec selecteren
- Tab External Control List:
24 MC Steinberg toevoegen (selecteren met pod 4)
Port 5-7 (DM4800) / Port 5-6 (DM3200)
Channel 1-24 (DM4800) / 1-16 (DM3200)
  • In TMC:
Preferences:
- MTC in moet aangevinkt zijn
- USB audioapparaat 3 gekozen.
  • In Cubase:
Device Setup - Remote devices:
- DM3200: Mackie control, Midi in en out, USB 6
Mackie control 2, Midi in en out, USB 5
- DM4800: Mackie control, Midi in en out, USB 7
Mackie control 2, Midi in en out, USB 6
Mackie control 3, Midi in en out, USB 5

Device Setup - VST Audio System:
- ASIO Driver geselecteerd
- Release Driver when Application is in Background niet geselecteerd

Transport - Project synchronisation setup:
- Internal time code moet geselecteerd zijn
- Midi Time code out:
USB audioapparaat 3 geselecteerd
Midi Timecode Follows Project Time aangevinkt
- Midi Clock Destination:
IF-FW/DM mk II geselecteerd
Midi Clock Follows Project Position aangevinkt
Always send Start Message aangevinkt

Gr
Frans

@Headroom Hello Frans. I hope that you do not mind. I took a few minutes to translate your instructions from Dutch to English. Feel free to let me know if I have made some mistakes. I will be happy to correct them. Thank you. Peter

Clocks and Transport
  • Requires USB connection between DM en PC.
  • On the DM:
Automation Screen: MTC USB must be selected.
Remote Screen:

- Tab Machine Control:

in Machine Control List add (select with pod 4): MMC Steinberg
Select TRA
Select Rec
- Tab External Control List:
24 MC Steinberg add (select with pod 4)
Port 5-7 (DM4800) / Port 5-6 (DM3200)
Channel 1-24 (DM4800) / 1-16 (DM3200)
  • In TMC:
Preferences:
- MTC must be checked
- USB audio device 3.
  • In Cubase:
Device Setup - Remote devices:

- DM3200: Mackie control, Midi in and out, USB 6
Mackie control 2, Midi in and out, USB 5
- DM4800: Mackie control, Midi in and out, USB 7
Mackie control 2, Midi in and out, USB 6
Mackie control 3, Midi in and out, USB 5

Device Setup - VST Audio System:
- ASIO Driver selected
- Release Driver when Application is in Background unchecked

Transport - Project synchronisation setup:

- Internal time code must be selected
- Midi Time code out:

USB select audio device 3
Midi Timecode Follows Project Time checked
- Midi Clock Destination:
IF-FW/DM mk II selected
Midi Clock Follows Project Position checked
Always send Start Message checked

Last edited:
Reactions: Claudio.86
Beste Frans Nederlands is prima I am also Dutch. Nice feedback I am going to check everything you really put efford in it thank you very much greetings herman from the Netherlands

Any luck?

Hi Thank you all for your reply. I had to stop because my dad was brought to the hospital yesterday. He seems to have lonque cancer and will die. I am sorry for not giving feedback sooner. Tomorrow I will try to check all these things and advices, to see what I did wrong. And see if it will work after checking all the parameters. I will give feedback as soon as possible.
Greetings. Herman

Hello @Herman Bo . I am very sorry to hear that your Father is not well. My / our thoughts are with you and your Family. As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no rush to get back to us until such time that you feel ready to do so. There is no need to apologize. Best of luck! Peter

Last edited:
Thank you very much. So nice to hear that but I do not give up my father yet. Maybe the Australian wonder drug EBC 46 might cure him. Nothing for this forum sorry. I come back to the DM4800 problem as soon as possible. Thank you all people.

Reactions: Peter Batah
I never see answers to my questions where do i get them

New threads

Members online

No members online now.