DM4800 automation losing Sync With Cubase 7 during playback

The problem with doing that (DM sending MTC) is, the DM's RECord key will become non functional. At least that's how it's been on my rig. For tracking and editing, I make PT the MTC master; that unlocks the PT transport so the Dynamic Transport function can be used. Then for DM automation, vice versa. It's never been a problem because I don't need access to Record in a mix. (It's not necessary to use the DM's automation for the board to send MTC.)

In any event, the DM shouldn't lose time code with either setup. Ernie/Jamsire's suggestion should be followed - try another MIDI output. And if that doesn't do it, try increasing the freewheel - first on PT alone, then add the DM's freewheel.

There's one other possibility: something amiss with the MoTu unit. Are there any adjustments on that box?

CaptDan

Alright I'll give the MIDI output a whirl.
MOTU unit?
There's not MOTU unit involved.

Thanks for everyones help. This has been bugging me for awhile but finally had some down time to mess with it today.

That's how I set it up and the DM is not displaying any time code when I hit play now.

Let's start over: go BACK to your original setup (DM receiving MTC from PT). Check all the boxes, enable the transport - just as you had it. Get MTC to display on the DM.

Next - I'm assuming you're using firewire (sorry about the MOTU remark; I scrolled back up to the start of this thread, and confused the OP with your issue.).
Try increasing the firewire buffer (this is just a test to see if there's a logjam someplace). Hit Play and check the MTC count. Keep us posted.

CaptDan

No problem CaptDan, I appreciate you taking the time to help.
Actually I'm going into Pro Tools through my 192's, not firewire. It's connected to the Mac for when I use WaveLab but I don't use it for Pro Tools anymore.
Now if I go back to the original setup I get Time Code from PT into the DM and after about 10 minutes it starts to slip by 1 second and then progressively gets worse as PT plays.
I'll try and take some screen shots and post them.

I know how you feel... do you have the "Online" button in the PT transport activated and flashing?

do you have the "Online" button in the PT transport activated and flashing?

That would be one of the steps involved if the DM is sending MTC to PT.

I don't know if you guys have thought about this, but when 'GENerate INTernal' is selected in MMC menu, you must tick the TRansport triangle. Doing this, disables the HUI emulate's RECord key. In other words, if you're using the DM's TRANSPORT, you will LOSE the RECord key's functionality. It goes dead. Offline. Bye, bye. :)

This is of no consequence if you do what I suspect Ernie/Jamsire does - use the PC's keyboard to operate Ptool's transport functions - or - the mouse to punch up commands on the Ptools screen. But, if you're like myself - and want to have FULL transport functionality on the DM, while also having access to PT's Dynamic Transport (using a mouse) you HAVE TO MAKE A CHOICE:

A: Have the DM be the MTC master, sending code to PT
B: Set PT to send MTC to the DM (with full transport functionality).

Unless I've missed something these past few years (anything's possible, and I'm open to knowing), that's the way it is with the DM and PT. Pick your poison, decide what's best for the job at hand, and set it up.

CaptDan

As you indicate Dan, the record button does not function with the DM as the master - I do that function with one mouse click, however it would be good to have the record button functioning.

But I'm f'd if I can get it to work with PT as the master! Could I trouble you to advise which fields you have checked in PT to allow this (or point me to the thread that has this info?).

thanks

#3 on the numeric keypad starts the record function in PT - all versions. Quicker than the mouse.

The record button on both the transport in PT and the DM will blink until you press the play button on the DM. Then, the RECord button on both the PT and DM transports will stay lit solid.

Last edited:
..... ummmm - that didn't work either..... no blinkin' no winkin' and no nod either :-(

Last edited:
Pressing 3 on the numeric keypad on my mac kb didn't work.

Clicking the record button in PT with the mouse makes both that button and the DM record LED flash.

I think I must have one setting wrong because all the rest of the remote functions function :)

Make sure you have your "keyboard focus" icon selected. That's A-Z icon found between the Edit Window and the Clip Window.

Pressing 3 on the numeric keypad on my mac kb didn't work.

Clicking the record button in PT with the mouse makes both that button and the DM record LED flash.

I think I must have one setting wrong because all the rest of the remote functions function :)

Look at the icon on the top right in yellow and black

I've never used that before... it's now highlighted in yellow and black but still pressing 3 does nothing.... sorry to be such a pain

i s your number lock on? Remember - it's 3 on the numeric keypad on the right on the computer keyboard, not 3 on the number row at the top of the keyboard.

I tried the clear key to turn numlock on / off - still no function with the "3" key..

I don't want to waste any more of your time Mr jamsire - thanks for trying - I hate computers!

To answer Drumstruck's question: there is no way I'm aware of to enable the DM's RECord key when the DM is MTC master. That's why I have TWO MMC setups: one for tracking/editing (when the RECord key is useful, and PT's Dynamic Transport can be employed for swift maneuvers around the time line.), the other - for automated mixing, with the DM sending MTC (the RECord function is immaterial in that phase.)

I wrote a long message about this a year ago - complete with screen shots. I'll have to dig it up and - ahem - maybe campaign for it to be another 'sticky." :)

CaptDan

I wrote a long message about this a year ago - complete with screen shots. I'll have to dig it up and - ahem - maybe campaign for it to be another 'sticky."
There is already a sticky on Ptools and MIDI control, so if you find it you might just wanna link to it in that thread? (more stickies means more scrolling..)

That sticky is Jamsire's (King Of DM Midi Control) excellent tutorial. What I'm referring to is a more basic workflow - where one can use full DM transport functionality along with PT. It requires two MMC setups, easily stored in snapshots and files.

I managed to find these two threads; they may - or may not - be helpful:

http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dm3200-and-automation-mtc.484/#post-1991

http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/can-more-than-1-mmc-be-set-up-in-dm3200.520/#post-2194

I think only the Admin can do sticky-links. But maybe I misunderstand. :)

CaptDan

We run both PT9 and Cubase8 at our studio.
PT is a total PITA. Not with the DM mixer, but just as a software: crashes, freezes. ugh!!
Cubase on the other hand operates seamlessly.

I use Cubase as master and when running automation I always use the transports directly on cubase. If I use the DM's transports there can sometimes be a slight lag. THIS is after making sure all the frame rates are correct.

I am able to run both DM automation and Cubase automation at the same time.
The mixer also automates basically all of its digital controls. Even the buss asigns!! Chorus thru one thing verses thru another.

What's even crazier is that if I "unlink / unshare" the auxes I can have up to 24 auxes!! I only run about 18, because, come on.. 24??!!
It is amazing to operate the automation after the outboard.
Poor mans SSL indeed!!

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online

No members online now.