DM4800 only mono tracks record in Cubase

Vignale

From
Holland
Gear owned
DM3200 MU1000 IF-FWDMmkII
This weekend I drove 1600 km's to collect a DM4800 (my 3200 has a broken output)
Everytbing works again after a factory reset, exept for one thing: in Cubase I can only record a mono track, not a stereo track: I looked everywhere, but couldn't find anything
To explain: a Phantom mic plugged in the xlr input works normal and I can record that.
But: my Helix guitar sim plugged in 2 XLR's reads normal like before on the meterbridge and sounds like before: when I choose a stereo input track in Cubase, no channel meters come in and doesn't record anything.
When I choose 2 mono channels and record the Helix like that it comes in Cubase and I can playback the channels
Hope I'm clear......
And that some of the more experienced DMers come up with a simple solution ;-)
Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance!
Chris.

Chris, you say 'when I choose a stereo input in Cubase', but you have to define those. Go to VST Connections (I think they changed the name in the newer Cubase versions), Inputs tab, Click on 'Add bus' choose stereo (you can give it a name also) and then assign, let's say SLOT1-1 to L and SLOT1-2 to R. After that you create a new stereo track in the main track view and assign the newly created stereo pair to it.

Hi Arjan, Thanks for the reply, but I know that (been using the 3200 for years)
But I think the purchased 4800 is partially misfunctioning too (as my 3200)
Several faults show up, like the leds on the MU1000: led 4 and 8 on all channels are black (connected to my 3200, they all work normally)
Also all leds on the metering point on the MU1000 metering layer and metering point dance, like it's a channel
On channel 24 I have a moving led-meter too, but nothing is on it.....
I get a midi RX framing error message on the DM also; can't cancel it, but when I load a project from the CF card, it's gone
Until now I've been able to record a stereotrack on channel 1&2 only and a monotrack on channel 7; havent checked all the inputs yet (living off grid here in Portugal and depending on charged battery's)
I keep my patience still, but the hate/love grows with the DM's.....

Well, if your DM is disfunctional, what kind of answer did you expect? Nobody has a 'simple solution' if the board has failures. You might have mentioned that beforehand...
I keep my patience still, but the hate/love grows with the DM's
I think your hate is more towards non-functional DMs. Which I totally understand.

Yes, you’re probably right….
It supposed to be 100% functional as promised when I bought it
At my first post I didn’t know yet it was (probably) broken
This my 3th DM now…..

That sucks, I’m sorry your DM appears to be busted! Hope u work out a way to get it fixed.

you said you are off grid, running your studio off batteries?

is it possible your power is insufficiently regulated or beefy?

Reactions: Vignale
I have tried my best to bite my tongue and stay clear of this conversation. I just couldn't resist. I am really having a hard time with this one bit of information.

1600KM

Isn’t it about that far from Holland to Portugal? I think Vignale mentioned elsewhen that he had moved his studio from the former country to the latter, so moving gear that far probably isn’t new to him! :) hope it works out Vignale.

@mixerizer Perhaps, I misread the first line of his original post which read "This weekend I drove 1600 km's to collect a DM4800" If so, then I was clearly mistaken.

Inquiring minds wanna know, more details of the road trip may emerge as the problem is solved! :D thank god it wasn’t via train

Low-orbit catapult :) seriously tho, good luck n I hope it is functional soon!

Sorry for the late reply.....
I'll explain: yes, I'm from Holland, but 1,5 year ago I moved to Portugal (living off grid and yes, I also thought about the current of the batteries not being stable, but that's not the case)
I've checked Tascam Europe service centres; only in the North of Europe; that brought me up the idea to check 2nd hand sites "nearby" for a used DM; the only one I could find was in Torremolinos Spain (of all places) and went there on a Friday to buy it, Saturday I went to Marbella for new glasses (at Specsavers: glasses are very expensive here in Portugal) and drove back to about Coimbra Portugal, so that was 1600 km's......
So now I'm stuck with 2 "dead" DM's.....
Untill now I've been investigating repair shops in Portugal; found one in Lissabon, but I'm anxious if they understand what and how to repair.
Luckily I have my small Soundcraft 12MTK mixer on which I can work on now, until a solution shows up ;-)
Cheers,
Chris

The good news is, if you master the schematics, u should have all the parts you need for one working unit! I hope you can return at least one of them to glory.

New threads

Members online