Double Tracking on the DP-24/32

Mark Richards

Soundaholic
From
Somewhere Near Nashville
Gear owned
DP-24/40-4MTR/M30
Howdy, been lurking here for a while and thought I'd introduce myself with a little "double tracking then and now" contribution. Hope y'all enjoy it.

Then:
In 1965, the Beatles were recording at EMI's Abbey Road studios. They often preferred to double track their vocals. The double tracking process at the time meant recording a vocal on one track; then rewinding the tape and making a second live recording of a second vocal. This was accomplished using either SI (superimposition, or sound-on-sound - adding a live second vocal on top of the first vocal); or overdubbing (recording the second vocal to a blank track, a still useful technique). Either way, the Beatles balked that the process was hard on their voices during long sessions and time/labor intensive, but very much liked the result: the two subtly different images created a thickening of the vocal sound. Ken Townsend, head of Abby Road's technical boffins, invented a way to do this electronically by sending the original vocal to a second recorder slowed slightly (2-4ms) using a variable speed oscillator. The slightly delayed second vocal was returned to the mixing console and added into the live recording in real time or recorded on a blank track for later mixdown. The slight delay in the returned tape vocal generated differences in the vocal character that simulated the subtle variances that occurred naturally in the SI and overdub process. The EMI techies named this invention "Automatic Double Tracking".

Now:
That trip down memory lane got me thinking about how the same might be accomplished on the DP-24, and came up with three ways: (1) The easiest but least flexible, blends the vocal track with a 2ms delay by using Send 1 to run the vocal through the on-board Delay Effect during mixdown. (2) Slightly more complex and a bit more flexible, involves bouncing the vocal track to an empty track, then using move/paste to offset the bounce track from the vocal track by 1 or 2 ms. (3) The most complex, but also providing the greatest flexibility, also uses the on-board Delay Effect. It involves assigning the source vocal to Send 1; patching the left stereo out buss to Input E and the right stereo out buss to Input F; assigning Inputs E/F to an "ADT" stereo-pair track (e.g. 23/24); arming the "ADT" track; and [~this is critical~] setting all physical faders except the master stereo fader all the way down/off. Do a final check, then press the record button. The result is a pure stereo "ADT" track that can be blended with the primary vocal and/or further processed with reverb, EQ, etc. while still leaving the on-board effects features available to other tracks during mixdown.

Last edited:
Well howdy to you Mark and welcome to the forum... and happy new year!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane - also reminds me of how much was achieved using minimal gear in those days... in the right hands. A lesson for all of us with G.A.S. :)
Nice trick connecting outputs to inputs, although would bouncing direct to a stereo track avoid external cables (use send-1 'pre' for the vocal track, and turn its fader down)? Just a couple of points: the 'clone track' function in Track Edit is quicker than bouncing, i.e. instantaneous! Also make sure you check the result for mono-compatibility if this is important to you.

Last edited:
Yep. Good info Mark. Thanks for sharing.

As familiar as I have gotten with this great piece of hardware - I forget about "clone track" in the track edit menu. I do this quite a bit. Particularly when I know I'm going to be making quite a few edits to a track... I often want to preserve the original. But I forgot about clone track and have been using the copy/paste function - which is essentially identical.

Also - I did post not that long ago about my success with doubling/thickening a mono vocal track. Which consisted of me sending a mono vocal track out to an external digital delay set for a millisecond single repeat. The delay split the signal to stereo - and those were sent back in to open tracks. The results were excellent. Very subtle, but full sounding. Exactly what I was shooting for. Love those little successes!

Reactions: Mark Richards
Happy New Year.

Phil, ahhhh...the Bounce Button (slap forehead). Thanks for the reminder. Yes, that's an even better solution. I'm from a time when "press the button" meant go to the patch bay. lol. You're spot on also about mono compatibility. A double tracked vocal in a stereo mix could end up sounding horrible reduced to mono. For mono, the on-board guitar/delay effect might be the better choice, since it's designed to be monophonic. Thanks also for the tip on bounce v clone (another head slap moment). :)

Jimi Ray, I like your idea for using an external digital delay instead. While the internal delay effect on the DP-24 is pretty good, there can be distinct advantages to using outboard gear instead. Do you mind sharing some info about the unit you're using (or point me to your previous post - I seem to be somewhat search-challenged this New Year Day)?

While I've got a higher quality Alesis Nanoverb that has a great sounding delay effect - I used a Boss DD-6 gtr pedal digital delay to accomplish what I describe above. There is a suggested setting in the DD-6 manual for a "doubling" effect. I tweaked a little from that to my liking.

I've also used the same pedal effect to add a repeat of just a single note in a gtr solo - since I could simply hold it in my hand and punch the delay on and then immediately off. That also worked perfectly for the desired effect I was going for.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thanks, jimi ray. I think I'll take a look at the Boss DD-6.

New threads

Members online