DP-004 "SD Size Error"

JarkkoSisu

Gear owned
DP-004, US-2000, 16x08
Just got a new 32gb SD card, popped it in and got this error message.

What now?

Thanks in advance.

I have not formatted it. After the error message, it simply says "Power Off" - I am not given any options to format the card.

Can I do it with my computer?

Attachments

• IMG_7331.JPG
    IMG_7331.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 8
Not sure about this - haven't got one to test, but if you don't get any other suggestions, I would format it using a computer - use FAT format, not NTFS, then try again in the DP-004. It will still need formatting by the DP-004 as it needs to create several partitions, but it might get it past the point where it thinks the card is invalid.

I think you're on to something!

I'll pop it in the side of my laptop and see what happens.

I've googled this pretty well and haven't found any specific instructions on how to prepare/format the card. My feelings wouldn't be hurt if somebody had a good link to follow.

I looked at the packaging of my new SD card - it said they all come formatted. I still put it in my laptop and it opened right up. Then I right-clicked it and (re?)formatted it.

Same result in the recorder.

I had the same thing recently with my DP03SD. I could not format the card in the DP and formatting on my laptop did not get the card to a state that the DP could read. I put the card in my camera (a Canon EOS M) and did a low level format, placed the card in the DP and was able to reformat and use the card.

I suspect the low level format with the camera is what did it. FWIIW, the card was one of the makes Tascam recommends.

Reactions: Niksname
here is what the old and new cards look like. I don't see much difference.

this is ridiculous I can't find the answer to fix this more easily. again, if I'm totally failing at Google, I'd rather be ashamed and have my new card working than be too proud to admit I missed the easy solution.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image (1).png
    image (1).png
    32.4 KB · Views: 5
Figured out how to call Tascam, spoke to a guy who said it's probably b/c I didn't use a card off the "approved" list. He told me 32gb is fine, btw

went to the weird computer dude who runs store from his garage in my neighborhood (everybody's got one, right?) and grabbed an 8gb SanDisk. Put it in, device asked if I wanted to format it, hit yes and rode my bike home. Arrive 5min later and it seems to be running fine.

It's unfortunate I never checked for this list before I had troubles. Perhaps someone will learn from my mistake.

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/529/dp-03_media_list_en_r5_20140606.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil Tipping
Glad you got this working. It is frustrating, but I am convinced the secret is finding a device to perform the low level format.

I will give it a whirl and see what happens.

I've confirmed the 32gb card works, just not in the Tascam (barring a reversal in fortunes via the tool mentioned above). Worst case, I use it in some other device.

Thanks for all the help!

I have just received my Tascam DP-006 an the moment I turned it on I got SD Size Error message with the SD card that came with it in there...?

Ok I pulled the SD card(s) out, put them back in didn't, work again. Third time I pulled both SD cards out and reassembled, reinserted an it worked the third time. All is resolved

I had the same problem with my D-008EX. Tried a new sd card. Still got the message "SD Size Error". But I got a real good tip from a friend of mine: While starting up, hold down the power on knob as long as possible, until you get the screen you need. It worked for me, even with the original sd card. The demo song was still on it.

I had the same thing recently with my DP03SD. I could not format the card in the DP and formatting on my laptop did not get the card to a state that the DP could read. I put the card in my camera (a Canon EOS M) and did a low level format, placed the card in the DP and was able to reformat and use the card.

I suspect the low level format with the camera is what did it. FWIIW, the card was one of the makes Tascam recommends.

Formatting with a M3 canon worked for me aswell!! Thanks for this info. Before this I did a low level formatting on PC and a Mac. After that I had no hope of getting a SanDisk Ultra SDHC 1 class 10 32GB 120 MB/s to work. But now it did. Now the Tascam accepted the card and could format it to 4 partition and a FAT part.

New threads

Members online