DP-24/32SD Tutorial Videos Discussion

That's kind of you to say so thank you. Yes there are a lot of work-related issues and it's a shame many people had to suffer before they were acknowledged & addressed. I still have one good ear so tend to use mono a lot... and put a lot of trust in the level meters. I lost the hearing in the other in my 40's (20-odd years ago) for no apparent reason, so although it was sad not being able to hear proper stereo any more (and social small-talk is another issue), in my case it kick-started the musical hobby which wasn't really going anywhere - on the grounds that I've only got one reserve left so it's now or never :) As they say: Every cloud...
Anyway, wish you all the best with your projects.
By the way, part 8B just uploaded. It's only an idea for confidence checking your sd-card, but hopefully backs up part 8A which claims glitches are caused by either incorrect firmware or an incompatible/faulty card.

I hope that Phil won't mind, and that it won't be against forum rules to mention that Phil's email address, for (ahem) sending payments in gratitude via Paypal is Patipping (at) gmail (dot) com.

Last edited:
Phil,

Thank you for your time, careful planning and explanatory video series. These gems have been as invaluable as the reference manual! I downloaded the manual and watched your videos prior to receiving my purchased DP24SD. I am pleased to say I have spent very little time fumbling back through the manual thanks to your diligent efforts.

Best regards!

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Amazing work Phil !!!
I will watch your vids today.
I have my DP-32SD since 4 months and i'm sure your vids will be really helpfull !!

Just like to add my thanks to Phill for these vids
They are so well thought out and have been a great help to me.
How about a practical guide on actually recording and adding effects.
You could maybe record a full minute of a track then do a master in detail.
Any way ,just a thought based on how informative this series has been.

Thank you Tyros.

Hello Phil,
Thx's to your tutorials, I got myself a DP -32SD. It will be in my hands this week. I'm excited!

Great great great !!! :)

I watched all your DP-32 vids, i learned so many things, a BIG THANK YOU !!!!!!!

I can't wait for the Mastering chapter....

Nice video again Phil !
Congratulation for all your work !!

I have a question:
In the last video, a have seen many of your tracks been recorded at a hot level, around -6dB.
What about the harmonic distortion ?
Personally i kept all of my records around -18dB to avoid harmonic distortion.
Is it too low ?
Is the Tascam capable to record a track around -6/-12 without harmonic distortion ?

Thanks TS-1. As far as I'm aware, the -18dB or -12dB levels are just guidelines for the average level to ensure the peaks never hit 0dB. I didn't think there was any gradual onset in distortion with digital as you approach 0dB - it just jumps from miniscule to severe... unless there's an issue with the analogue circuitry? I tend to use highish levels as I'm from a tape-based background, but I know this is unnecessary as the noise floor is a lot lower so -12 or -18 won't be too low - it depends on the bit depth. I'm not sure what the guidelines are for 16-bit vs 24-bits - maybe somebody knows?
Note this is for nominal levels - if you're keeping all 'peaks' below -18 then I think that's too low.
I've also seen advice to leave a small margin when normalising to allow for overshoot/interpolation issues with some digital playback devices - figures seem to vary from 0.5dB to 1dB, so guess this would apply to recording as well. I have noticed that I need to normalise recordings to -1.5 or even -2dB on my DAW if I want to import them into the Tascam otherwise the overload light comes on, so maybe this is related?

Reactions: TS-1
From my experience, keep the levels at the recording, around -18, avoid harmonics distortions.
This allows a better sound at the mastering/normalize step.
If you record to HOT like we do with the analog tapes, your mixdown gonna be dirty and not playable on all support (living room Hi Fi system, car, walkman, etc...).

My best result with digital records, were made with this -18 average.

It allows you to push the volume up and keep a gound and nice sound when ou finalize your mix/master.

Sorry for my bad English, i'm French...

By th e way, when i say "My best result with digital records, were made with this -18 average", i mean when i used to do a computer + Alesis Multimix USB 2.0 and Adobe Audition 3.

Maybe the DP-32 is more tolerant and don't produce a lot of harmonic distortion, as long as you don't touch the 0dB.

You'll notice on the Level Diagram following the beloved Block Diagram, "nominal" level is defined as -16 dBFs.

So, i think it comfirms what i said earlier, stay around -18dB on the track view meter when you record a track avoid harmonic distortion and allows a nice sound with enought headroom to be pushed up later and stay clean.

Record a track too hot, (just under 0dB for exemple) will prevent a good mixdown as well as the mastering.

If you have one track to record it's not a problem.
But if you have 20 tracks, you will accumulate also the harmonic distortion of each track.
It will result a bad mix, that you will not be able to push it loud on a Hi Fi system without getting a dirty sound.

Once again, Phil you rock. I hope to get my little studio up and running soon and this will come in very handy. Appreciate all you do!

Great stuff Phil. Lots of information for all levels of users. Making this a sticky.

Hey everyone... just wanted to publicly thank Phil for the effort in putting together this series. It is invaluable - particularly to those new to multi-track recording.

While the machine is not nearly as complicated as some (think Roland VS line of which I owned two) and is relatively quite simple and intuitive... there *are* some quirks that are less than intuitive. I've got a pretty good handle on it - but still plan on carefully watching each and every one of these videos to enhance and/or improve my understanding. Where this really pays off when it comes to multi track recording is in *work flow*. Things go so much easier when you have a SOLID grasp of the hardware that you're utilizing.

Thank you, Phil!

Phil - or anyone...

Is there a video where you discuss in detail the single undo vs multiple undo function?

(scratch that last inquiry - I seem to have figured out the way this works)

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

It seems that in single undo setting/mode the last function - whether it be a fresh recording take or a track edit - is undone by a simple push of the undo button (and redone with another push).

But in the multiple undo (up to 10) it gives you a menu of last functions that can be undone - but this was the slightly confusing part to me since it allows you to "select" what you want to undo. Rather than the selected event being undone... everything *before* the selected event is undone - but NOT the selected event.

I think I've got this right.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.