DP-24/32SD Tutorial Videos Discussion

Thanks for the support jimi. You're right, the selected Undo event marks the current state, so everything above that is undone (and re-doable). There seems to be a small quirk as if you press F4 at the current state, some of the track & source select lights change so maybe these are not preserved correctly... but the more important file handling & recording states seem to work as expected.
I missed out this function, along with quite a few others such as Track Edit, Auto-Punch & Rehearse etc. as the project was in danger of going on forever - there are so many functions in these machines.
But hopefully there's enough there so people can make a start and then explore further on their own... and as you've found, there's always this forum to fill in the gaps :) All the best.

Thanks for the confirmation, Phil.

It is not lost on me... the trouble you went to - to help others. I sent you a little $$ as a thanks and I highly encourage others to do the same.

Cheers jimi - a bit tricky mapping forum names to paypal names - never understood this 'alias' malarkey but that's just me ;) ... either way a big thank you to you and everyone else who chipped in - much appreciated.

Reactions: David Porter
Phil:
Thanks for this major effort to help others. I'm new to the Tascam DP24 and the unit can do much more than I first thought. Your tutorials must remain available because I'm sure I will return again and again as I use the unit.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Thanks a lot, Phil, for preparing and for posting these videos. They will me help a lot to understand better my (new) machine.

In contradiction to your comprehensive information the owners manual is in some sections a little bit poor.

Best regards
Bernd
(New board member from Germany)

Hi, everybody,
following the DP 24/32 tutorials by Phil Tipping, I have created an improved block diagram for this machine. I hope I will be useful for some of you.
Ragards, Boyko

Attachments

• Tascam Block Diagram.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
Hi, once again,
may be some of you have noticed, that the 8 trim knobs of DP 24SD are a little wobby. Here I can show you how I have hixed the problem:
I have taken some plastic straws (I don't know the english word, it is the tube, that you drink juice on the beach with) - see pic 1. Their diameter is slightly smaller than the trim shaft, so I cut them along. In my case the thickness of one straw is about 0,2 mm, so when I put it over the shaft I can "limit" the movement with 2 x 0,2 = 0,4 mm. That is why I have used a second such straw, put over the first one - see Pic. 2. Finally I can "gain" 2 x 0,4 = 0,8 mm congestion, that is completely enough to have stable rotation without rubbing. The lenght of these straws is abou 3 cm, what I have made was to insert a longer piece and mark (with permanent marker) the place, where it must be cut - see the piece on channel A on Pic.2. If needed, you can pull the piece with two pins located on the oposite sides. The only mistake I have made, was that I have not bought from the shop black straws - now, when I look from aside, the yellow color bellow the knob is visible.

Attachments

• Pic 1.JPG
    Pic 1.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Pic 2.JPG
    Pic 2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 22
I'm late getting to this, but thank you for your wonderful series. My VF160EX gave up the ghost, and I had to order the DP24sd very suddenly for some recording sessions. Watching your series while waiting for the unit to arrive was a life saver for me. The Tascam is fairly intuitive in many ways, but it had some seriously screwy quirks to it. Your videos gave me a heads up.

Also late getting to this. Thinking about buying the 32SD for portable use between my studio and someone else's. Don't want to tear anything out of the studio so this unit seems like it will do the trick.

I'm a research hound (to say the least!) so I went looking on YouTube for info on this and other units in the market. Found Phil's videos and did a marathon up to #8D. Not only are these great for learning the unit, but for someone thinking of buying they couldn't be more valuable! No salesman or sitting in a store playing around with one could have given me the info I wanted to know to buy this thing. It purely qualified the unit for me.

Then I joined this forum to ask a couple of questions and saw that Phil was a member! On YouTube the videos are scattered with others when doing a search which was a pain. Now it looks like I can see them in order here.

So...I ordered a DP32SD today. Free 2 day shipping so I'm watching for the FedEx truck.

Big thanks again to Phil for helping me and everyone. Major dude in my book.
Read you can contribute somewhere. Will look into that.

Thank you Mr Phil.Your work is phenomenal,and you 've managed to set the bar for home recording tutorials videos higher than anyone else has done before,so far.

Thank you so much for making these tutorial videos.
My life and music recordings are better thanks to you sharing your knowledge & wisdom.
It is very much appreciated.
Tascam should definitely hire you as a consultant & put you on the payroll.

Hi,

Last week, I bought a brand new DP-32 (the one with Midi Ports and a CD unit). The DP-32 was a floor demo at the store. It was unplugged and it was never used. They couldn't find the original box, SD Card, USB cable and manual. I got it for 500$ CAD (taxes included) (about 390$ USD) and they gave me a Kingston 32Gb SDHC card (Class 10).

As a former sound engineer, I am familiar with sound recording, consoles, routing, noise reduction, effects, etc. I have a few dozen of cassette tapes that were recorded on a Portastudio 244 and 488. I don't own the 244 anymore but I have found very clean 424MkII to read my tapes. I have checked all my tapes and they are in pretty good shape after more than 30 years.

For now, I will use the DP-32 to digitize my tapes on 4 or 8 tracks using file format 24 bits/48KHz. This will be a raw recording from the 424MkII/488 with recording level adjustments when required. I might experiment with noise reduction (tape hiss comes in mind) but this can be done later.

As many of you, I am more familiar with analog devices like 16/24 tracks tape recorders and 32/48 tracks consoles. I used DAWs (Cakewalk/Cubase) with a 2 channels USB sound box for a few years but that's another story.

I want to thank Phil Tipping for all these turorial videos. I have seen them all from the first to the last. This is an outstanding work! This is 4 hours and a half of good advices and tips! It saved me hours of reading and trials/errors to figure out digital routing of signal using the Block Diagram.

Now it's time for a SD-Card confidence test and testing export of tracks to be copied on a computer.

Many thanks again Phil! :)

Dan

Phil, I want to send out a great big THANK YOU to you! I found your videos on YouTube when I was doing a search on import/export. I am new to the Tascam DP32SD. I am moving over from my beloved Korg D3200 that has a ton of miles on it. Having said that, the Tascam is not quite as intuitive as the Korg so your videos are a gold mine!

Again, thank you!
Tal

Phil,
Many thanks for the video tutorials. I think I've seen all but just in case I've not, I use my DP32 when in band rehearsal and record live using the 8 dedicated inputs.
Roland drum kit into channels 1/2, guitar DI stereo pair 3/4, keyboard stereo pair 5/6, lead vocal 7, bass into channel 8.
I obviously set the levels and balance in real time and the stereo output is then fed into a 4-way headphone amp so the band can listen and play live using headphones adjusted to their own required volume level. We then overdub as required at a later date.
Am I getting the best out of the machine for such a regualr live band use or is there some other functionality I'm not making the most of?
Any suggestions most welcome and thanks again, regards Tom

New threads

Members online

No members online now.