DP-24/32SD Tutorial Videos Discussion

Thanks for the kind words Tom. Seems pretty much ok to me, but am sure there are others who have more hands-on skills than me. My only comments would be to record all stereo sources onto stereo tracks to make them easier to handle. Also not sure what you mean by "balance". If you mean panning, I guess you're aware that panning has no effect on the recorded signals; it only affects the sounds being monitored or played back/mixed afterwards. Finally, if your band members want a different sub-mix of instruments in their headphones (as opposed to just being in control of volume), there are 2 send paths which may help; you'd need extra headphone amps though.

Phil thanks so much for the helpful reply. Could I ask you to explain how the sub mix function would work as this is something I would like to try but frankly I'm not sure where I should start and how I would sort that for a 4-piece band. Many thanks

Tom, the sub-mix(es) comes from the send outputs. There are 2 of them so you can use either or both. Send-1 also goes to the internal send effect so if you're not using that, you've got 2 sub-mixes available. One of the videos covers this, but basically you turn on the sends for each track using controls in the mixer screen.
If you've got monitors/headphones plugged in, you can hear what's going on by pressing the Monitor Select button and selecting either Send 1 or Send 2 depending on which one you want to set up. Don't forget to set it back to Stereo when you've done.
e.g. to add track 7 to send 1, press track 7's Select button, confirm 7 appears at the top-right of the mixer screen, move the highlight to the send 1 section and turn it on by changing the Off box to Pre, turn up the levels for send 1 and master 1. You should hear track 7 in the monitors.
Repeat for the other tracks reqd for this sub-mix. You don't need to touch the master send level each time as this controls them all.
What you hear in the monitors is the signal coming out of the Effect Send 1 socket, so if you connect a headphone amp to that, that's one band member sorted.... or you could use a multi-way amp for all members wanting this particular mix. Using Pre (as opposed to Post) means the send levels are completely independent of the track faders.
If you want a different sub-mix, repeat above using Send 2. You'll need another headphone amp for the Effect Send 2 output.
Each track's send level defines the relative levels of that track in that sub-mix (the track can appear in both sub-mixes if you want), and the master send defines the overall level.
If you use Send 1, make sure the internal send effect is turned off, otherwise you may get unexpected FX in your stereo output signal.
You could save on one headphone amp by leaving the Monitor Select set to Send 1 or 2 and using the machine's headphone output.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Phil, sincere thanks for the very comprehensive response, much appreciated. I'll work my way through the options you've advised and hopefully won't get too lost! Cheers Tom

Vids are very well done, thank you so much. I had a 24, sold it tight on cash, now I am sending a faulty zoom r16 back and getting another 24. Liked it when I had it but it didn't feel user friendly from the get go. Your videos make me look forward to getting one aagin in the next week or so.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Much thanks to Mr. Tipping for these educative videos. I am about to acquire a Tascam 32 track Portastudio from Sweetwater, now that the price is exactly the same as a 24 track version, so it is reassuring to have these tutorials at my fingertips, enabling me to get up to speed even before my new toy arrives. I raise a toast from my African jungle lair. This bud's fer you, sir.

Hi Phil,

Quick word to say hello and also many thanks for the amazing tutorial videos you've posted online. Am working my way through the entire set before deciding whether or not to purchase a DP-24.

All the best,
Simon

Hi there Phil,

first off, i would like to thank you for taking the time in making this very informative set of video's that you produced.

You Have done a Fantastic Job!!

i just recently purchased a tascam dp-32sd digital recorder, and still trying to fully understand this unit.
One thing in the manual on page 71 , it is mentioned quote " ANalog Input/output ratings
input A to H jack
  • XLR type (Balanced)Connector : xlr-3-31
  • (1:GND, 2:Hot, 3: GND)
Input impedance: 2.4kohm
Rated input level: -14dbu
Maximum input level : +2dbu
(Here comes the Kicker and the funny part!!!)
  • Standard jack type (balanced)
Connector :6.3mm (1/4") TRS Jack
input impedance :
Above 22kohm
1mohm (input H only, when Line-guitar switch is set to guitar)
Rated input level: +4dbu
Maximum input level: +20dbu !!!!!!!!

Q:
does this apply to all 8 inputs using a 1/4" trs jack IE: does this mean that if i use a xlr type jack the maximum input level is at +2dbu??
and if i use 1/4" standard trs jack the maximum input level is at +20dbu

If I decide to to use 1/4" standard balanced jacks instead of using XLR type jacks will this change the input impedance and allow for a greater input level (say Line level)

At this very Moment , I am using 8 XLR jacks on the inputs!.

Not shure how to interpret these specs.

Thanks

Jean-pierre

Last edited:
Hi Jean-Pierre, many thanks for the kind words.
The XLR & 1/4" Jack inputs are intended for mic & line levels respectively, so yes use the 1/4" jack connectors for higher line level signals. There's a brief mention of this on page 21.
The other guys (Mark?) may have more technical info. to add.

Thank you for the fast reply,
And this means that i have to change my xlr jacks to 1/4" type jacks in order to use them with my yamaha mgp16x mixer, no problem for me.
Thx
Live long and Prosper

Jean-pierre
:)

Jean-pierre, the "Level Diagram" in the Specifications section of the owner manual is a good visual reference.

Here's the quick version:
Think of impedance in terms of water flowing through a pipe. The larger the pipe, the greater the volume of water can pass through the pipe, from minimum flow to maximum flow without backing up. Ideally, you want to match the incoming flow of water to the flow capacity of the pipe to maximize the efficiency of the flow.

The dBu numbers are all in reference to the difference between the lowest signal input that can be processed and the maximum signal level the circuit can handle referenced to a standard voltage (OdBu = .775 volts). For the DP-xx, OdBFs = +2dBu. The DP-xx can handle a line input level of +20dBu, but that is +18dBu over OdBFs.

The XLR jack is low impedance (2.4 kOhm - two thousand four hundred Ohms). This is mic level - all mics with XLR cables are low impedance.

The 1/4" Phone jack is high impedance (>22 kOhm - twenty two thousand Ohms). This is line level. Connecting a low impedance mic to the high impedance 1/4" phone jack requires a low to high impedance transformer that is XLR female on one end and 1/4" phone plug on the other.

The Input H "guitar" switch converts the 1/4" phone jack impedance from 22 kOhms to 1 mOhm (1 million Ohms). This allows for either plugging the guitar in directly, or running the guitar through a bunch of effects pedals first. The guitar itself is high impedance (typically 40kOhms), and each effects pedal adds its own high impedance to the signal flow.

It's okay generally to run a low impedance device into a high impedance device. The only downside is lower sound/more noise in the output level than there would be when pairing the low impedance output device with a low impedance input device.

It's very bad to run a high impedance output device into a low impedance input device. Horrible distortion is the least of the bad things that can happen.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Thank you Mark,
I do understand what you wrote and the message has a lot of sense!
but I just was'nt shure reading the specs in the manual.

On My yamaha mgp16x I have a whole bunch of 26db pads for each channel inputs and I use them when I need to use guitar Processor or Drum module or even keyboards , now if i want to use mics i simply toggle the little button on each of the inputs.

i'm going to make some tests tonight with a signal generator using 1/4" balanced plugs and XLR Plugs

Thanks

Jean-pierre
:)

My dear Phil!
I want to take a few minutes to personally Thank You for your intuitive videos.
I purchased my DP 32SD 1 month ago. And with your videos, I am eternally grateful to you.
I have been playing guitar since I was 7 years old. I am now 56 years young. I started watching your videos before I bought my Tascam Portastudio. I wanted something that had the feel of old school ie (Mixing board, Recording, etc). I chose the DP 32SD. I have not had any regrets! THANKS TO YOU!!!
I truly look forward to many years of enjoyment, and learning how to become more of a recording engineer.
Please keep up the great work in making my decision to purchase the Tascam DP 32SD an extremely useful, and productive tool in my new adventure!

THANKS AGAIN!!!
Don Carroll

Thank you Don, good luck with your musical ventures. Just fyi, a DVD is now available for the whole series for those wanting to watch offline; details are on the first post in this topic.

Hi Phil. Tom from Vegas here. Your series of videos and PDF tutorials are a god send. Anyone who is serious about using the Tascam 24/32 (SD) needs this stuff. I am so impressed with your PDF, I sent it to Staples to be printed and bound (in b& w to save a little coin). My learning approach with your video series is to watch the video once while taking notes, then watch it again with hands on. It really reinforces the great info you are providing in the video tutorials. KUDOS!

Last edited:
And the Pro Audio DVD with Dave Willis nicely compliments Phil's stuff by taking a more applied approach to the subject. Very nice production values (and coming from a professional video editor for 35 years that means something) :) https://www.facebook.com/tom.daigon

Reactions: SocProf
I found the Dave Willis DVD helpful. His 3 DVD set on home recording is also worth looking at if you're new to this stuff.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.