DP-24 as Slave, Record Pause Feature?

Adrian Pollock

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24, DP-008ex
Hi, new member of the forum and have read through many of the topics but can't see an answer to my query so thank you in advance for reading this.

I have the DP-24 with midi. I want to slave it to my Roland MV-8000 which is the master sequencer, Sampler and has a new Roland Fantom 7 hooked to it.

I would like to press record on the DP so that it enters "standby" such that when I press play on the MV to run whatever song I set up that the DP starts recording and therefore in time with the MV. However oressing record starts recording. Is this record standby mode available? I can't see anything in the manual. I have MMC hooked up on DP (DP slaved) such that I can hit record on the MV (which enters record standy) and then play on the MV and the DP will engage record and play but this means recording a blank track on the MV....not a clean method of doing this but is workable. Is there a record / pause mode? Alternatively has anyone used system messages (byte messages) as per the midi implementation chart at the end on the DP manual to send record messages (or any messages so I can see how it works). I do know about cc messages etc on the MV and hiw to implement them. Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you in advance. Great knowledge on this site by the way. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum Adrian.
has anyone used system messages...or any messages so I can see how it works.... I do know about cc messages etc...
I don't have the MIDI version of the DP but if no-one else responds, you can explore all this yourself by using a MIDI utility on a computer. I remember MidiOx being the goto tool, but there may be other free ones out there. You just enter the MIDI bytes and it sends them to the device.... great for getting definitive answers :)

Phil, many thanks for taking the time to come back to me. I will check your recommendation out. As per my original post I do have a workable solution at the expense of a dummy track on the MV-8000 but was wondering if I was simply missing something re a record "hold" feature on the DP-24. Of it us to be a bit of code then I would a midi channel called "DP-record" with this code at the start if bar 1 which sets the DP recording. When I don't want to enter record mode on the DP I would simply mute that midi channel. The code would be re-used or built into my MV base template song. That's how I see it working . If anyone else has experience of this situation please advise. Now to check out Phil's suggestion. Thank you.

Can I finally just say that this is one of the most pleasant and respectful forums I have read through / been on. I am on the Akai MPC / Roland Clan forums where discussions invariably end up as WW3. That is a credit to this forum members and team behind the scenes. Well done all.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Just a quick thought - and I don't own a DP nor an MV - but could it be that you should also use MTC (MIDI Time Code) on top of MMC (MIDI Machine Control)?

Also the DP should be set to (the newly PC inappropriate word, meaning) "Follower."

Reactions: shredd
Also the DP should be set to (the newly PC inappropriate word, meaning) "Follower."
Probably more "PC" than my O.G. DP-32, which offers the choice of "Slave" or "Master"!!!

Though it hasn't been a problem where I live. The social/political environment here is so toxic/hostile that if you're overheard in public mentioning anything remotely resembling political moderation or social tolerance, you'll get a bullet in your forehead while standing in line for coffee.:eek:o_O

Oh yeah - in an effort to stay on topic:
My DP is set to "Master", and controls my various ZOOM drum machines with absolute perfect accuracy.
And I'm told that it will ALSO control a second DP (or even my 2488neo) for more tracks availability when recording...there's y/tubes about that...and probably some scant info in the OM...

Last edited:
All, thanks for your comments, Arjan, I will have look at that.....perhaps having MTC triggering will hold the record starting until play is pressed on the MV. I will come back if I find anything that works other than the previously noted dummy record track on the MV. Cheers.

Update: Just tried sending MTC from MV, it doesn't force a record hold so the only workable solution so far is the dummy record track in the MV. I can easily live with that.

PS: Bought my DP-24 midi version last week on Ebay. Pan pot didn't work. I opened her up which is a job, quite tricky. A trace by the pan pot pcb wasn't fully connected so a dab of solder and job done. I note that some of you are having problems with non-responsive buttons. Once opened up it is easy to get at the tact buttons to desolder and replace with new ones. Just photograph everything as you go along, keep the screws in their groups ideally in a container- I use an empty Ferrero Rochet chocolate box which has a series of holes where you can set your screws in the order you take them off. Anyone opening up their DP does so at your own risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
opened her up which is a job, quite tricky
Thanks for the recap…MIDI is so complicated!

Also for the details on your DP ‘surgery’.
I’ve often pondered the potential future “opening up” of my DP for maintenance/repairs, which would DEFinitely include a good cleaning/inspection of the tactile button contacts that are under the manymany push-buttons on the DP’s panel…and dreading it like a chain-saw pedicure!!!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.