DP-24/DP-32 import speed & reverb quality + only 1 master?

klink

From
Noosaville, Australia
Gear owned
2488, DP-32
As a Zoom HD16 user with a broken stop button I've been looking at other options recently. I'm currently trying out Tascam's 2488 & Zoom's R24 but both have limitations so I have the following questions about the DP-24/32 which I'm hoping someone can help me with as I'm interested in buying one of these. 1. Is the DP quicker when importing tracks (the actual bit when you assign them to tracks one at a time from Audio Depot) than the 2488, which seems to take around 40 to 50 seconds per track? I'm guessing and hoping it is with it being a much newer model. 2. Does the DP series have the same reverb as the 2488 or is it better quality as I'm not overly impressed with the 2488 reverb (both Zoom's are better)?

I guess a 3rd question would be - when I mixdown on the Zoom HD16 I normally do quite a few mixes onto separate virtual master track takes then comp them together on my computer into a finished master but I understand that there is only one master track in the DP-24/32? So my question is can you record more than one master/mixdown & easily get these onto your computer for further editing etc.? Or is the only way to do the mixdown in bounce mode so you can then use the virtual tracks for separate mixes? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
I'll answer #3. There is only 1 master track. Open the USB port and copy it to the computer. Repeat as necessary. If you want to use Bounce mode, that's cool, but you can also import those Master files back into the unit for comparison, mixing mixes, etc. Personally I don't find this to be a big limitation.

There are so many workflows out there., but here is my experience.

I have a group that has vocalists, sax, guitars,bass, synth players, vocal synth boxes, flute sometimes, and acoustic piano.

We now record our shows with either Tascam Model 24, or Behringer 32 depending on the need.

I mix and master my performances all on the Tascam DP 24 SD. Largely effects, Eqs, Panning in the sound spectrum, compression and any normalization are all done inside the Tascam DP 24 Sd. Final Master is done inside the Tascam DP 24 SD.

The only time I go to my Macbook Pro is to convert the final master to .mp3 when I need to either send it through e-mail, or post it on music streaming sites that only take .mp3 files. Also I copy the .wav masters to my Macbook Pro to burn CDs. Many of our fans still buy CDs. And from time to time I have to send different band members stems so that we can do asynchronous recording sessions.

The most time consuming feature I've found on the Tascam DP 24 is exporting individual tracks to the Audio Depot. Exporting multiple tracks (depending on length of song obviously) could take minutes. But that's no big deal. I use that time to take a break;)

As is commonly known, I'm very happy with this unit. :ugeek:

I think the ultimate combination for a working music ensemble is Tascam DP 24/32 + Tascam Model 24.

Because the computer plays such a minor role in my workflow, transfer speed, importing,
or exporting speed is just a non issue.

Reactions: Jim D and -mjk-
To answer some of my own questions (as I now own a Tascam DP-32) which may help others -

1. Importing tracks seems to be really quick (around 6 times quicker than 2488 in my brief tests).

2. I reckon it could be a new reverb algorithm on the DP as it sounds pretty good to me (more library presets would be good though). Guitar effects sound way better than on the 2488 as well although I'd still only use them for rough work.

3. I think I've found a crafty new way of getting more than one mixdown file which doesn't need a computer connected - do mixdown 1 as normal then change the song title (from the song menu page) by one character (for example change song01 to pong01) - do mixdown 2, change the song title by one character again (make it say kong01 or anything you like as long as it is different from before) - do mixdown 3 etc. etc. All these files then appear as separate mixdowns when you either connect to a computer via USB or by removing the SD card from the DP - simple!

You can't switch between these mixdowns in the DP itself but of course you can on your computer to choose the best mix or possibly to comp 1 perfect mix in your audio editor from several different mixes. Before someone asks - I'm not sure but I think if you change the name again just before using the mastering effects this still overwrites the mixdown you're mastering (in other words 'song04' changed to 'tong04' after mixing down still produces a mastered file called 'song04' I think - more experimentation needed).

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.