DP 24 foot switch

Karl Brandt

Gear owned
DP-24
Is it possible to use the DP 24SD footswitch in the auto punchmode??

Use the pedal to do what? I'm unclear on what you're meaning.

Karl, the whole point of auto punch mode is that it is, well, automatic and doesn't require the user to press the record button at the punch-in point. You set it up and start the machine and at the appropriate time it punches in and punches out by itself. So there really isn't any need to use the footswitch if you see what I mean. Now that being said, I have never set up auto punch in and started it with the footswitch. I always set up the auto punch and press the play button on the top panel of the machine. Next time I do auto punch I'm gonna try the footswitch and see if it works.

Karl, there's a setting in the Preferences screen that let's the user assign various functions to the foot switch. I'm pretty sure auto punch is one of them.

I don't have a foot switch and have never had the need for one, nor had an issue with using auto punch. As mjk says, it's a pretty easy and foolproof process.

I can see the convenience of using the foot switch, though, if you can't get close enough to the DP or need to have your hands positioned and ready to start playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
thanks to all for the replies. One of the preferences is "Punch in Punch out" but it's unclear if that refers to "auto punch"--it may be just regular punching in/out. I use the auto punch function a lot, especially with my keyboard. Because of my studio configuration, I have to hit the record and then dash to the keyboard each time. Before I spend $$$ on a footswitch, I want to be sure it does what I need it to do. The manual is vague on the footswitch use.

"...I want to be sure it does what I need it to do..."

You're right, it's not clearly stated in the manual. The foot switch can substitute for a manual press of the Record button, among others. Since auto punch requires pressing the Record button to get it going, it might work.

Maybe order through Amazon so you can have hassle free return if it doesn't do the job?

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Manual punch-in means you press Record to toggle the recording on & off while the track is playing - the timing of these button presses is up to you as you do it. As Mark said, you can configure the footswitch in the preferences to perform the 'press the Record button' operation and keep it hands-free. The recorded data effectively replaces (or overwrites) the section of the original track for the duration between the 2 button presses.
Auto punch-in doesn't need any button (or footswitch) operations as you pre-define the in & out points for the recorded section. A nice extra feature is if you also enable Repeat mode, the punch in/out repeats automatically, but with each pass the recording is made to the next virtual track. It keeps auto-incrementing the virtual track (up to the max of 8) so you end up with up to 8 'takes' - all hands-free, which you can then review later.

Phil, auto punch requires a manual press of the Record button to get it going, so it's possible that the foot switch can be used to do that. Pressing the Record button (it doesn't light yet), puts the unit in Play mode (Play button lights and playing starts at the Pre-Roll time and the selected track's Record button flashes). At the In point the track Record button turns solid and main Record button lights and recording begins automatically; at the Out point the recording stops automatically.

Good tip about using the Repeat button for several automatic takes to virtual tracks. There's always something new to discover about using these digital portastudios, even for an old hand like me. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
The manual says one of the options you can set for the footswitch is Rec, which is the same as pressing the record button. So, Karl, it looks like the answer is yes.

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online

No members online now.