DP-24 SD eject

Randy Turner

Gear owned
2488neo, dp24sd, dp01
Lordy I know this is a dumb question, but somehow I don't know the answer. Can you or can you not eject an SD card from a DP-24 without powering down?

I know you can power up with no SD and insert (mount) one.

I'm working on a couple separate projects on different SDs. Was hoping there's a way to safely eject one and insert the other. Probably not, but figured I'd ask.

Reactions: -mjk-
Randy. Of course you can do it. But please do not! You will instantly regret it.

I've done few tests, and sometimes the current song survives OK. But other songs on the card are borked. Removing the SD card while powered up will have unpredictable results. Sometimes you get lucky. The reason that there is a specific shutdown routine on these machines is to protect open data files from corruption. Otherwise, the thing would just have a hard "off/on" switch. Press and hold the power button, take a swig of your beer and then change cards. :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: David Porter
Oh, why not send an unbuffered electrical charge through the SD card. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I phrased my question wrong. I *know* you don't remove while powered up. I was wondering if anyone knew of a command or option to unmount while powered up. By that I mean inform the OS that it needs to logically disconnect.

But I see that that was probably answered - gotta use the power down for every SD swap.

thanks !

Randy

@Randy Turner yes, that is the only safe mode. There is no SD card unmount command available from the UI (although I suspect that the OS is Linux).

I have been toying with the idea of having one of my programmers examine the firmware and see just what could be done with it. Low priority atm, though.

Really? A proprietary Linux variant? Perhaps Tascam will see fit to release an update with an unmount command... or maybe a terminal emulator !! It would be useful... thnx!

It's just a guess Randy, but I discovered (while making a reset template and preceding the filename with a punctuation mark) that if a period (a full-stop character) is the first character in a Song name, upon pressing Save, it instantly disappears from the list, but is still on the card. The machine UI won't list it anymore. It becomes a hidden subdirectory. Sounds like Linux to me. When I discovered this, I changed the name by removing the full-stop, and it reappeared in my song list.

That could be a useful way of storing finished Songs you want to completely protect (and also want your list uncluttered with them), and yet want to keep on your card without the possibility of loading and thus modifying the wrong Song.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Great job of discovering that mjk ! Seriously useful to know that it might be possible to utilize unix/linux conventions with the DP24. Thanks tons !

@Randy Turner if it works, I'll take the credit. But if it doesn't, I won't take the blame! Lol!

New threads

Members online