DP-24 to Pro Tools Drag and Drop No Go

josh

Gear owned
DP-24
Hello all. A couple issues I'm having and would love some help. After many years with the 2488 NEO and its sluggish export to the FAT drive, I was elated to know that the DP 24 had link capability for simple drag and drop. However, with the NEO's FAT drive, I could just drag and drop to my hard drive then import them into Pro Tools and everything started from from the start - zero, all lined up, easy peasy. Very convenient for my haphazard style of recording.

Now I can link the computer to the to the DP 24, and my computer is seeing the files on the SD card, but when I drag and drop into pro tools, pro tools isn't recognizing the wav files, so no audio, no waveforms, nada.

Plus, there's some punch-ins on different files entirely, and I'm seeing the waveless tracks don't line up as it is in the song, so I'd have to reconstruct the mix on pro tools.

I'm a little lost at this point, and hope someone can help me tackle this.

Hi Josh, track wave files in the Music folder are internal work files so should not be touched as they may be incomplete. All tracks have to be 'exported' to collate these files into complete time-aligned wave files. Go to the Audio Depot function and export each track. On the computer, you'll then see the files in the AudioDepot folder on the sd-card - these are the files to transfer; their names are based on the song name and track number so you can identify them easily. The only file in the Music folder which you can transfer for processing is the mixdown/master file if you've made one. This will have a name based on the song name. You may see 2 files with similar names, one will have a 'z' in its name - don't touch this one as it's the 'undo' file.
You can transfer a complete song folder within the Music folder for backup/restore purposes.

Thanks a ton Phil. I've tried to do that operation with one of my files and still, no go. I'm doubting myself right now, so I'll try again, but I was having no luck. Also, I'm imaging that you need a pretty big SD card to house all the tracks in the music folder and the Audio Depot folder. Mine seems to be to small and I'm getting "file size too large" messages when attempting to export more than one file to the Audio Depot folder. Again, thanks.

Ok Josh, yes that's one drawback with the export mechanism - you need extra space. Once you've transferred a file from the AudioDepot folder you can delete it to make room for the next export, so one track at a time may be feasible if you have the patience :) If not, each folder under the Music folder is a complete self-contained song with all retakes and undo history, so if you've got several songs on the card you could copy these folders to the computer for safety, then delete the ones you don't want for now, then go back to exporting the reqd. tracks. There's also a 'delete unused data' function in the song menu, so if you've done a lot of retakes/undo's/editing on the dp24, this might retrieve some space. It only works on the song currently loaded, so may need to repeat as reqd. Good luck.

New threads

Staff online

Members online