DP-24SD Recording through a mixing desk

Craig1e

Gear owned
DP-24SD
Hi,

The band I'm in use a Yamaha MG166CX Mixing Desk that we all connect to. I would like to connect the DP-24 to this to record individual tracks but have our reliably set mix going through the main outs of mixer. Some mixers have a direct out which should do the job while ours only has Insert (usually for effects). I believe that insert will also work with certain provisos (That the tip and ring of TRS plug are shorted to return the signal or an adapter is used). My question is...because the DP-24 also has TRS input with the same configuration in terms of hot, cold and ground, would the DP-24SD return a signal to the desk using TRS to TRS cables or would the signal just get lost swallowed up by the DP-24?

Thanks
Craig

Hi Craig, you're right, the function for tip & ring is different at each end, and the DP24 hot & cold inputs are not joined so it won't return the signal to the Yamaha with a standard cable... but you may get away with a standard mono TS to TS cable and partially insert it at the Yamaha end. If you only push it in till the first click, you avoid breaking the internal contact on the socket so the signal flow is not interrupted. You'll need to try it first to see if it's reliable - if you don't push it in far enough you'll get an intermittent signal for recording; if you push it too far, it will interrupt the flow.

If the trick works reliably, the signal will appear on the tip of the Yamaha's TS plug and will be unbalanced. If you use a TS plug at the Tascam end, it will also treat this as an unbalanced signal as the socket's ring is shorted to screen, so everything should work.

A couple of possible issues:
You may get earth loops as the screens are connected at both ends.
The Yamaha insert points are after the compressor and EQ stages so these will affect the recording.

Reactions: Craig1e
Thanks Phil, that's extremely helpful. It's not quite the answer I was hoping for (anything for an easy life!) but it certainly has answered my question. I have been scouring the internet for an answer but have only found answers to devices that are TS. I guess I just need to test it all and see what happens.
Thanks again,

Craig

New threads

Members online

No members online now.