DP-24SD Songname vs Songname_z Files

SocProf

Gear owned
DP-24SD
After finishing the mixing and mastering process on a song I recorded on the DP-24SD, I found two version of the wav file. One of them had a "_z" at the end. Can someone please explain the significance of this? When I imported the files into my computer and looked at properties, the non-z version was dated later, so I assumed that was the final version.

The 'z' file is the previous version of the mix/master file to allow the machine to 'undo' the operation. The latest file, whether you did a mixdown or master operation is always the non-z file. Any file which has a strange name, i.e. has 'z' or ZZ's in it is not meant for use outside the machine.

Thanks, Phil. The last step I did was Normalize, so the z version is probably the "abnormal" version. :) I didn't leave very much headroom, so the two versions sounded pretty much the same when I burned them to CD-R.

It sure would be nice if the manual covered this sort of thing.

Yes its there in the Tascam / Phils manual , along with many other snipets of usefull information that TASCAM should have put in there reference book , but didnt !! All credit to Phil for putting the time in , to help musicians like us who try and get to grips with new equipment and procedures not familiar from the start.

Well in Phil

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online

No members online now.