DP-32 frozen

Mr. Master

Gear owned
DP-32
I've been using my DP-32 for over 2 yrs. with a 32 GB SanDisk Extreme UHS-I (UHS-1?) card, which was listed on the approved-card list. It's mostly worked smoothly, and I've only recorded two large files on it (two long, multitracked pieces--together they might add up to 2-3 GB from what I recall), and maybe a dozen relatively small files--I can't imagine it's gotten close to filling the card. I've left that card in place since I bought it two years ago, so I haven't been stressing that part of the device by repeated removal and replacement of the card.

Today (of course, these failures happen on a weekend, when Tascam has no customer support) I was using the jog function--something I've used often with no problem--to locate a point on my longest piece, and the machine has completely frozen with the jog "Search" display in place. I can't exit this mode as usual by pressing the "Jog Play" button--nothing happens. In fact, no button on the machine seems to work, even the power button.

I'm tempted to unplug the unit and reboot it, but the manual says "If the power is interrupted while an SD card is being accessed, all recorded songs and data on the card could be damaged beyond recovery." (This isn't just any weekend, it's one when I have some time and three different pieces I was hoping to work on, naturally.)

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Hi there

I've had the same problem. Just recently... but a few times in a row. It seems to happen when in jog mode and I expand the waveform and search for a certain spot via the jog wheel. I think the software just can't handle it. Nothing on the machine responds so I just pull the power cord. When it comes back on the song seems to be fine.

Not much help other than you are not alone :}

Actually, that is a lot of help. But, did you have other songs stored on your SD card, and they weren't damaged by pulling the plug?

Correct...other songs seem to be fine. That's no guarantee of course....maybe just luck.

I contacted TASCAM support, and they had no alternative to unplugging and repowering the machine. I did that, and the machine reverted back to the song I had been working on prior to the one on which the machine froze--like it forgot that entire episode. Looking at the Song menu it appears that I haven't lost any data.

The TASCAM support guy suggested upgrading to the latest firmware--1.05; I was using the 1.04 that came on my machine. I'm hoping that will eliminate the problems I've had with MIDI synching with a drum machine and low-level "tick" noises when playing back tracks, especially when I've done many takes at the same spot. Those are the main problems I've had with the machine prior to this freeze episode.

I take it you have the older DP-32...I have the DP-32SD. Did Tascam indicate they may look into the problem of why the machines(s) freeze when jog searching? Pulling the plug isn't much of a fix.

In any event keep me (us) posted on the freeze issue. Thanks!

Jim

Yes, I have the older DP-32, and no, the rep didn't say anything like that. It's the only time it's happened for me, and I use the jog function a fair amount. The firmware update is supposed to improve reliability, so maybe it will help with this. I suspect that moving the jog dial too rapidly may strain the system, so I am going to try to watch for that.

If it freezes again, I'll post again. I will need to repeat what I was trying to do Sat., so that will be a test. I'll probably download and install the new firmware first--the release notes suggest it may help with timing issues I've had when copying and pasting passages based on jogged location points.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I am glad I found this thread! It happened while cutting and pasting using the jog wheel. I have done this before quite a lot without problems. My memory card is almost full now, and maybe that has to do with it? I don't know. I have a DP 24 SD bought in 2016.

Yesterday my DP-24 SD froze when I tried to switch from rehearsal mode to record. Everything was fine during rehearsal but when I tried to cancel the rehearsal the lights started flashing. There was negative response from everything on the unit including On/Off. I eventually shut off the power bar. It seems to work fine today. I'm not a happy customer.

I'm curious Bob... do you have the latest firmware? Is your SD card loaded up? I haven't experienced this but am curious and concerned - wondering if there are some clues to get hip to.

**This may be stating the obvious - but I hope you guys are backing your tracks/songs up so that if you do have a catastrophic failure of some sort your data is saved elsewhere.

Reactions: Bob Chopper
Jimi Ray: I do have the latest firmware, had my files saved, no losses, the card is a 32 GB. The device is new and I'm relatively new to recording. I've had it for a little over a month. I had my guitar plugged into the device though the emulated output on my Marshall amp. I switched the input from line to guitar. I think that was a mistake. I later read the instruction book which suggests not doing that if using a guitar with an active pick up or a preamp. The sound was excellent. Another possibility is my mistakenly hitting the foot pedal to start and the stop button on the device at the same time. Bottom line, it seems to lock up with confusing commands.

Hi, I'm having freeze issues with my DP-32 while usind the jog dial & cutting & paste etc.
Im wondering if Mr Master or anybody else had any more issues after upgrading the firmware?

Bump........and my DP 24 sd froze on boot up on one occasion
but I think
that might have been a cheap sd card.I changed the card and no repeat so far.
Its on the latest firmware.
The mixer button on the left side of the screen needs a harder push than the others to work.
I still love the machine but it seems to have some problems.

Tyros

"This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error"

My DP-24SD froze up several times during one day. I started writing down details, expecting to return the unit for repair or replacement.

I removed the SD card and backed up to my desktop computer.

When I saw this thread wake up, I realized that the DP has not frozen for probably a couple of months.

Maybe removal and insertion of the card helped it?

Matt B

New threads

Members online