DP-32 SD Card Error

Steven L. Stevens

From
Midwest U.S.
Gear owned
DP-24;DP-32;DR-05; 3340S
My DP-32 now refuses to recognize ANY inserted SD card. Unit returns a "MBR Error - Init Card" upon startup. When this happens no operation is possible. Removal of the SD card and restart allows access to menu but all attempts to access the card or "Fast" or "Full" format a reinserted SD card returns either the above error or "No Card". Three new, "on the list", SD cards have been tried but all fail in the DP-32. Trying the same SD cards into my DP-24 works as expected. Access of DP-32 in USB mode from PC results in the full ability to access theDP-32 installed SD card as well as the ability to transfer files to and from the SD card. Full disassembly and internal inspection of DP-32 reveals nothing visually out of the ordinary except for some very sloppy soldering on the Main PCB which appears to control most higher level functions of the device including CD drive controller, display, and most likely the SD card interface/reader. Still waiting (starting second week now) for TASCAM Parts to respond; suspect they are swamped as always. Main PCB, part - E90439300B, is listed as "no longer available", so I am not sure what the likelihood is of identifying and breaking something out of TASCAM that will work. Keeping fingers crossed but past experience has revealed it can sometimes be almost impossible for an end-user to buy needed repair parts (2488Neo and countless TEAC R2R repair experiences). I have given up on TASCAM tech support so far as their answer as to potential cause of malfunction is, "send it in" :). As a tech I am not ready for that yet :). That will be my last resort should I decide not to just part out the DP-32 and return to using my 2488Neo or DP-24 as the go-to machine. With all that said, I am wondering if any one else has had a DP-24 or DP-32 that exhibited the same symptoms and, if so, what was your solution to get it back on line? If you sent it back to TASCAM - did they tell you what was actually required to repair it? Thanks!

I get the feeling that, as cheap as the DP32SD is (especially if you wait for a flash sale), the best way to get long-term reliability from one of these critters is to have two of them, swapping parts as needed. When they were heavily discounted a month or two ago, I got a spare just so I can use my unit over the long term.

It is so sad that I must agree :). I have amassed quite a few spare parts for just that reason - questionable long-term reliability. The Main PCB that I just replaced in my DP-32 is the center of my concern. If you can find a new or used one at a good price - snag it. I got one for $25 which was a steal. Now doing some SMD work on the faulty card. Never had as much concern with my old trusty 2488Neo; it just keeps going and going and going :). Sometimes "newer" is not necessarily "bettah"! I have a real Love/Hate relationship with my TASCAM products :).

I’m also thinking that the thingy when connects the SD card to the mainboard is a weak link with the DP32s; to minimize stress to this part, I use a 32GB card and USB cable to transfer files to and from a computer. This minimizes the number of times I pop the SD card in and out of the unit.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Inspecting my faulty Main PCB revealed quite a few questionable/poor solder joints around the SD CARD socket. I have hot air and iron re-worked anything on the board that looked suspect and will test it next time I have my DP-24 or DP-32 open. Wish I could find a service manual or detailed schematic but, though asked "nicely", TASCAM has been unwilling to help even though both the DP-24 and DP-32 are now considered "obsolete". They got to keep that repair revenue stream coming in I guess :).

I’m also thinking that the thingy when connects the SD card to the mainboard is a weak link with the DP32s; to minimize stress to this part, I use a 32GB card and USB cable to transfer files to and from a computer. This minimizes the number of times I pop the SD card in and out of the unit.
That's a good tip Sam, thanks.

Concur. I only remove my SD card when there is no other option. Fewer in-out cycles the better.

As much as us techs don't want to spend the money,the service manual is available from Tascam...

Last call I had to TASCAM they said it was not available. I have no problem spending money :)! Will check back again since it has been a while. Thanks!

Hello Steven,

Were you able to verify if the faulty Main PCB has been fixed after solder reflow. I am currently having the same issue that you had.

Thanks!

@Randull Washington Re-flowing suspect joints DID NOT work. I ultimately ended up replacing the board. I kept the old one for another future attempt but it appears the fault lies at the component level and I'm not sure I want to devote the time in replacing surface mount components since some were not readily sourced. Best bet would be to replace the PCB with a new or known-working used unit if you can find one.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.