DP-32SD - normalize function

David Porter

Soundaholic
Gear owned
DP-32SD
Just curious. For those of you who do everything "in the box"... do you always use the normalize function? Or it just depends?

I use it. But since I usually have the max levels set just below the "red" zone, it probably doesn't do much.

I've found over the years that consistent average (rather than maximum) levels from song to song is much more important. My advice is to experiment and see what works best with your type of music and the sound you're looking for. Particularly where dynamic range is important, automatically adjusting the overall level until the highest level of the song reaches the maximum limit isn't necessarily better or best.

I rely on my ears and the stereo meters to get consistency in my stereo mix level song to song. I'll apply a bit of subtle EQ and/or compression to a stereo master to tweak it a bit if needed. I don't usually Normalize my stereo masters.

Last edited:
Unless the recorded level of a single track is too low to use in a mix situation, I don't see any advantage of normalization - and every pass of it degrades the original signal, even though it is digital. It works based on peaks, so also for mastering the use is very limited and can get you in trouble easier when further working with the master (conversion to mp3 for instance). The usual recommendation for masters is to stay below -0.5 to -1 dB True Peak level.

The other replies are excellent and I agree with them. It also really depends on what your post-production intentions are because if you intend on marketing your music, then keep in mind that the overall levels of your tracks are going to get raised and lowered in order to fit the requirements of each respective retailer and distributor.