DP low level sends going to outboard compressor(s)

David Porter

Soundaholic
Gear owned
DP-32SD
Hey gang - hope everyone is doing well.

Trying to solve a little issue. I prefer to record vocals dry - and then process that signal with outboard gear as needed. But even with the gain controls for the sends max'd the signal is somewhat weak going into my compressors. I have in the past ran the signal back through a preamp to boost it before the compressor - but that can add noise so its not my favorite thing.

I'm wondering if this thing might do the trick. Thoughts?

https://www.radialeng.com/product/j4

Reactions: -mjk-
As the resident Village Idiot here, I’m probably the last one to be advising on this…
But I do have a DP (O/G 32) & have used the sends for the same purpose you are - and it works.

I’d suggest that your signal-level problem is more likely related to gain-staging and/or recording levels, not the lack of additional signal-booster…or perhaps even the input stage of your compressor/s’ requirements?!?
And - not that this isn’t obvious: but be sure you’re “send”-ing adequately - I tend to set the send Send Master level/s at max, then adjust w the Send1/Send2 controls…

I’d be happy to stop by and take a crack at it for you…if you’ll provide a plate of nachos & Katy Perry in a bikini…:D

Reactions: David Porter
David, before spending your hard earned cash, try a simple experiment.

If you don't have unity gain, then on the return Input, turn on Dynamic Compression, but use only the Gain control to bring the return signal from the outboard compressor to a usable level.

Last edited:
I'll try your test, Mark. Thanks. I'm curious now.

But to be more clear than I was with my first post.... I really like the sound of an 1176 type compressor (I happen to have the WA76). 76 style compressors don't have a threshold control. The threshold is "lowered" by simply hitting the compressor harder through gain. To do that with some vocals - I have to crank the input on the compressor. Which causes more noise than I'd like.

Anyway - just wanted to be more clear about that.

Reactions: Mark Richards
This is as expected. The Tascam DP machine delivers -10db while the Warm Audio 76 expects a +4db signal. The mismatch will/can cause unwanted noise.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I think the first device you mentioned will work best, @David Porter. The sends on the DP are unbalanced and your compressors need +4 professional level so that device seems perfect.

Just to throw in my 2c. Both products say they convert -10 to +4, and both have level controls, so either should do the job. The Radial has an extra ground-lift switch which may be useful if this (or future) applications have problems with hum. Don't know if there's any difference quality-wise.
Found a similar thread on send levels from way back (posts #9 and #12 ) - makes me feel old now :)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.