DP004, Punching in and out

Daryl Hankel

Gear owned
DP 004
Hi folks...new to this forum. I have searched for a solution, but couldn't find one. Any/all help is appreciated. I am trying to first record a track on my DP004, and then set and IN and an OUT point, and automatically "overdub" that part of the track. I know I can set the track to REC, and then press Play, and then the red 'REC' button while the track is 'rolling', but is there any way to do this hands off (so that I can play my instrument and have the overdub go directly into the selected IN/OUT spot). Thanks.

Hi Daryl, and welcome! The function you're looking for is called Auto Punch, and I'm not sure the DP004 has it.

Normally with most recorders it works as follows: you put the IN and OUT markers in the right place, set the track in record mode and by pushing REC and PLAY at the same time playback will start with the REC light flashing. It turns to constant RED at the IN point and to flashing again at the OUT point.

Hope this helps, and that the DP004 functions the same way..

Wow, what a friendly forum! Thank you Arjan for your quick response. I tried as you suggested, but the little DP004 just starts recording from the get go. The mAnual describes how to manually punch in and out...but no mention of Autopunch. Oh well, what can you expect for $100. Thanx again guys.

Hey Daryl: The 004 does not have auto punch in-out for recording, you have to physically push the play/record. Just start ahead of where you want to overdub then you can use in/out points and edit functions to clean it up. It works well, I have done a lot of songwriting with the 004. Eventually I upgraded to the DP-03 & programmable foot switch (sweet set-up) but a lot can be done with the little 004, I still use mine for quick song ideas. One heads up, name each song or you will have not enough memory problems when you try to master. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Steven. Yeah, I really do need the autopunch: I am recording instrumental (saxophone), over a backing track so I need both hands on the instrument. After laying down 3 instrumental tracks to go along with the backing track, I've been exporting to my computer to do the final mix. But, I would much rather be able to autopunch in and out to fix those tough spots. Anyway, thanks again for the help. Great forum.

So, guys...what would be your recommendation for a low end recorder with autopunch?

If you want to stay with Tascam, the next one up that has autopunch (and also punching in and out with a footswitch) is the DP-008EX.

New threads

Members online