DP24 randomly shut off and won't turn back on

Curtis Fisher

Gear owned
Tascam Dp-24
I have been recording my band with my DP24 for the last two weekends, and with about 3 hours of recorded material, it randomly shut off last night. Whenever I try to start it back up, sometimes it makes it to the main menu/screen (for only a few seconds), while other times it stays on at the TASCAM loading screen for a few seconds and turns right back off.

It was on a Furman power strip, and the other mixer and devices on the strip still had power and function fine. The power adapter input has a slight wiggle to it but seems as solid as other devices I have. I had thought it was an overheating issue but just tried it again this morning and it still happens. Basically, it doesn't stay on. It's running the latest V1.15 firmware.

I've opened it up and checked for burnt points on the boards or any loose wires and have found nothing.

Pretty much I have lost all use for the recordings that are on the SD card because we were still tracking. Does anyone know what has happened? Thanks.

Last edited:
Try swapping out the sd card with another one if you have one

It's not an SD card issue; it does the same thing with no SD card, the original SD card and two others I have tried.

This kind of news scares me. Every time I read something like this I find myself checking to see if I'm current with my song data backup.

Sorry to hear you're having this type of problem. Please let us know how this turns out.

I may have mentioned this here before... but about 1 1/2 years ago I happened to pop on the Musician's Friend site and caught a rare, temporary price drop on the DP-32SD - it was at $395.00, no tax and free shipping. So I grabbed another one to have as a backup.

Last edited:
Just a WAG, but did you check that all connectors between PC boards are secure? It sounds like power supply issue, probably just a loose connector.

Hate to ask the obvious, but is the power cord between the unit and the power brick completely seated in the power brick? Mine came out slightly once and it wasn't apparent from just looking at it.

Sigh, yes, the power cord and brick are fine. I've swapped cords and have plugged this thing in 5 different outlets in 5 different buildings. It's most likely a software or internal hardware issue, I was just wondering if anyone had seen this issue before.

All connectors within the unit are in perfect order and plugged in properly. The unit hadn't moved for two weeks until the problem started.

I would contact your local Tascam rep and ask his advice if you can keep yer cool !!

If you have the ability, check output voltage of your power supply brick. This will give you an idea if the unloaded voltage is within specs. If it's low, it will probably go lower under load. Swap with a known good power supply if you have access. If everything checks out in regards to the power supply, the problem is most likely on the Main PCB Assembly (Tascam E95439310A). Have to verify that part number but I believe it the same for the DP-24 and DP-32. I have had to replace the board in a couple DP-32's for various problems, mostly boot-up and SD access issues.

Reactions: David Porter

New threads

Members online

No members online now.