Dp24-SD How many times can I convert

Matt B

Veteran
Gear owned
dp24sd
My thought is to process my vocals with one pass through my external digital effects processor, record the track, and then pass the mix through the effects processor again for my final mix.

How many times through A-D and D-A converters is too much?

If I have calculated right, that would be (from original analog to finished product) would be nine conversions.

Will this significantly affect the quality of the final audio?

Matt B

Interesting question Matt. I've never noticed a degradation from multiple conversions using other gear, although I've not tried the dp machine or done any A-B comparisons. My workflow uses a digital hard-disc recorder (24bit 48KHz) through an analogue mixer, out to digital effect boxes, then back to the recorder, so it's a similar no. of conversions for bouncing and mixdowns. If no-one else chips in, maybe try an experiment and post the results.

I see people discuss the quality of converters, usually expressed in terms of neutrality or just "good," so I assume some are better than others. From that, I figure that not good ones degrade the signal, and it seems logical that the degradation would be cumulative.

I wonder if I would hear the difference anyway, and wonder if a smashed-up mp3 could reflect the difference. A lot of digital stuff is so good anymore that the quality increments are tiny,

Matt B

New threads

Members online

No members online now.