DP24 trim and P170 mic

Randy Turner

Gear owned
2488neo, dp24sd, dp01
I tried recording a classical guitar this week with an AKG P170 mic. With the trim set for what I thought was a good level, I ended up recording considerable bleed from outside the room - as well as finger movement on my right hand - all coming through clearly (regardless of mic position). I've never had this happen with my old Optimus 33-3017 or Behringer C2 condensers, nor with SM58 dynamic. So I figured I'd turn on the P170's 20db pad, and adjust the DP24 trim accordingly. Now I seem to be getting a good clean guitar sound (and no gain noise).
At the risk of asking yet another pair of embarrassing questions, (1) does a 20db pad simply tell a mic to ignore the first 20db - or does it also actually narrow or change the pickup pattern of the mic, and (2) if the mic model isn't my issue, what the heck am I doing so wrong on the DP24 trim? Are there recommended trim levels for various mic models?

I know there are better mics than the P170, but that's my price range until I hit the lottery.

(1) does a 20db pad simply tell a mic to ignore the first 20db - or does it also actually narrow or change the pickup pattern of the mic,

1. No to both. A pad on the mic reduces a mic's sensitivity, primarily so that loud sounds won't overload the mic's diaphragm and cause distortion. A secondary benefit is to reduce the amount of sound a mic can pick up beyond a certain distance. A pad does not alter the pick up pattern (omni-directional, cardioid, etc.) of the mic.

(2) if the mic model isn't my issue, what the heck am I doing so wrong on the DP24 trim?
The Trim Knob is a variable pad. If you look at the Level Diagram in your owner manual you'll see the range of available trim. Look (or search) in the Production Tips sticky for a post on using the Trim Knobs properly.

Are there recommended trim levels for various mic models
No. Refer to the Trim Knobs sticky post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Turner
Randy, make sure that when you are making comparisons, that the levels are the same. Human hearing sensitivity varies across the loudness range. When you turn that mic level down to the track, you must make up the volume loss to the monitors with the fader or else you might be fooled by it.

Randy, you didn't do anything wrong, and any mic with the AKG brand requires no apology! The single most important thing is to not get discouraged, but keep going!

New threads

Members online