DP24SD Compressors....gain reduction?

Philster

Gear owned
dp24sd
Hi Folks
A quick question - when using the built in compressors how do you monitor the gain reduction? There's no meter hidden away somewhere is there? Or do you have a workaround method to check it?
Thanks in advance,
Phil

This may not be the answer you're looking for... but I simply use my ears. I mean.... aren't we just wanting to adjust the compressor gain so that the level is at or near where it is when the compressor is off? I just toggle the dynamic input compressor on and off - and adjust the gain accordingly.

Thanks David - yes, I've been getting by using my ears but sometimes wish I could just double check. As you can't really use them after tracking (guitar insert apart or sending out) I like to get a gentle bit of compression on when tracking.

Reactions: -mjk-
The change in compression gain level is reflected in the track dBFS meter in Record Ready and Record. Very tedious. Play a bit. Watch meter. Adjust. Play a bit. Watch meter. and so on.

If you're applying compression in Mixdown, solo the track, set the track fader to 0, keep the Stereo Fader at 0, and the Stereo dBFS meter will reflect accurately the change in compression gain during playback of the track.

But I'm with David, my ears are my "meters".;) Unless the incoming signal is overloading beyond any other means of control, I save all track compression decisions for Mixdown.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Thank you Gents, plenty to chew over - will get stuck in :)
Phil, yes, watched those recently and that works (although the tiny delay is noticable if blending in with the original track)
Cheers
Phil

Philster, if you look in the Production Tips stickey, there are some other suggestions for working with effects (including compression) post-tracking that won't create an audible signal delay.

You can also use Track Edit to line up the second (compressed) track with the first (uncompressed). Move/Paste allows exact matching.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philster and -mjk-
@Philster if you can get by with recording the track uncompressed, using Mixdown mode will give you a file you can process in Mastering mode with single or multiband compression, and that does have a meter. Some of my best guitars were done that way.

New threads

Members online