DP24sd pan issues

bassplayer75

Gear owned
Tascam DP24SD
hey guys new to the forums here, but have a question I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere.
When using the nee to me dp24sd I can only hear things when I'm panned left or right. If it's in the middle I get crackling and very low volume And it's the same even during playback. Also, no matter if panned left or right I get both ears full on. Could this be an ohms issue in the headphones ?

Thanks

Hi bassplayer. Headphone impedance would only affect overall volume, not left vs right levels or crackling. I would do a factory initialise first to ensure there are no stray pan or phase settings, then try again. If no change, try speakers on the monitor outputs and stereo outputs to help pinpoint the problem. Try doing the tests live to avoid complications, i.e. without recording anything. Keep us posted.

Reactions: -mjk-
Hi there
I've got the exact same problem as stated above but can't seem to solve it.

I've tried resetting the initialize multiple times to no avail.

Is there something else I could try?

The key to the issue is the fact that the audio seems cancelled when planned center, and that panning seems to make the track audible, but in both ears.

Conclusion: the L/R monitor signals are combined, out of phase.

Thanks for the welcome.

I don't have speakers available at the moment to test the monitor outputs or stereo outputs. But I did insert the headphone jack into the monitor outputs left and right separately and had no problems with sound, and panning was working.

The key to the issue is the fact that the audio seems cancelled when planned center, and that panning seems to make the track audible, but in both ears.

Conclusion: the L/R monitor signals are combined, out of phase.

Is there a way I can 'uncombine', put back in phase, the L & R monitor signals?

Sure. But we don't know where it's happening. The very first thing that I would suspect is any headphone extension cable. I have one that's very finicky, and if my headphone plug isn't pushed in all the way it collapses to mono. Secondly, I would check to make absolutely sure the headphones were functioning and that the TRS plug is wired correctly. A very common problem is use of a 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter for using earbuds. Those can be notoriously bad.

The headphones are working correctly with other devices, I am using a 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter but have tried multiple adapters to no avail.

I will connect my monitor speakers at the weekend, so will check the monitor outputs are working correctly.

Sure. But we don't know where it's happening. The very first thing that I would suspect is any headphone extension cable. I have one that's very finicky, and if my headphone plug isn't pushed in all the way it collapses to mono. Secondly, I would check to make absolutely sure the headphones were functioning and that the TRS plug is wired correctly. A very common problem is use of a 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter for using earbuds. Those can be notoriously bad.
I had exactly the same problem with 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapters. It drove me nuts as it happened when I first got my DP-32sd. I spent about 2 hours trying to work out what was happening!

Reactions: -mjk- and Joe J
Mj said it all. Let us know how the speaker tests work out Joe. If the monitor outputs are correct, you've narrowed it down to the headphone path. If the fault is still there, check you didn't do the initialise and then re-load your song. If you did this, you will have re-instated the (possibly incorrect) phase settings as they are part of the song data.
Pity bassplayer75 didn't say what actually fixed it.... a good example of why it's helpful to follow up problems so others can learn, whether a solution worked or not.

Phil, thanks for plugging (pun intended!) the need for a follow-up so everyone benefits from the knowledge.

I had exactly the same problem with 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapters. It drove me nuts as it happened when I first got my DP-32sd. I spent about 2 hours trying to work out what was happening!

What was your solution Findlay?
(I will keep all posted to when and how this gets solved)

I used a tried a different set of phones in the adapter and got a proper signal left and right and pan temporarily by juggling the phone plug in the adapter. I now use a 3.5 mm extension cable which seem to have sorted the problem. It would be easy just to use phones with a 6.5 mm jack but my favourites are 3.5 mm!

Issue resolved.
The headphones I was using were designed to be used with a phone, which meant they had an extra 'band/contact point' on the connector.

When I changed to headphones with only the 2 'stereo bands' on the connector the play back was fine.

Thanks for the help.
Lesson learnt - use proper gear designed for the job.

Joe, the term is TRRS, for tip, ring, ring, sleeve. Non mobile phone audio devices are TRS, tip, ring, sleeve.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.