DP32 Stereo in Headphones mono on playback

Jake

Gear owned
Tascam DP 32SD
Hi guys....I'm a new user of this recorder. I have recorded 2 instrument tracks 1 and 2 with no problem. As I am trying to record a vocal (input b track 3) I get stereo in my headphones when I'm recording. Mono on playback. Suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I'm not exactly sure how to reply to your inquiry. Unless I'm missing something (and I may be) - what you're saying there is a little confusing. What I can say for sure is this: If you have a single source plugged into a single input which is routed/assigned to a single track - this is going to be mono no matter what.... during recording and playback.

Having said that... as you are a new user of the DP-32SD... may I suggest that you do yourself a huge and worthwhile favor and take the time to watch the Phil Tipping tutorial video series on YouTube. It will not only gain you clarity on exactly what your asking here - but you will come away with a near global understanding of the signal routing and features of the DP-32SD. Phil spells everything out step by step. It truly is the ultimate reference for these recorders. And if you do watch these and get something out of them - may I suggest that you send Phil a little something for his efforts (I did). It's not mandatory - just a suggestion as he went to a lot of trouble to help others. :)

Jimi Ray, thank you for the reply. I will watch the video. In terms of the question, I record a guitar part on track 1 and a keyboard on track 2. When I play those back, I can hear both on both sides of my headphones. When I record the vocal, I can hear the vocals on both sides of the headphones but in playback the vocals only come out of one side. I tried using the panning in the mixer....all of the panning is centered.

I know from other areas it can be a bit frustrating assisting newbies who won't take the time to read the manual or look on you tube. If the above explanation of the problem gives you an idea on how to fix, your input would be greatly appreciated. I will dive into the videos as soon as I can.

OK...figured it out. The track setting on 3 defaulted to pan left. The second video from Phil helped explained about resetting to a known state. From there I was able to determine the problem. Thank you again Jimi Ray for the video tip.

Reactions: David Porter
Ah... excellent. Glad you figured it out. And glad you're finding some value in the Tipping videos. ;):)

As far as stand alone digital multi-track recorders go - I have found this DP series very intuitive compared to most. They're all a little weird at first - - but the DP is really pretty easy to jump around in and doesn't have the complicated sub-menus and steep learning curve that some others do. Understanding the different effects and effects routing is probably the most confusing thing at first - but once you grasp it and practice it it's a snap and opens all kinds of doors in how you can manipulate audio data. And the Tipping videos can bring absolute clarity to certain functions that can be head scratchers at first.

New threads

Members online