DR-22wl general setup for bass recording?

Nicholas Johnson

Gear owned
DR-22wl
Hi there. Finally found this place. Ive had my DR-22wl for about 6 months now, and still dont think ive got anything right on it. I am very new to audio recording. I am beginning a solo bass venture and I was wondering if someone could possibly give me an idea of how i should set this thing up. I know its nowhere near the end-all recorder, but i know it can produce some quality sound, if done properly. This cool little toy was the only thing within my budget.

My gear

Amp: Fender Rumble 150
Bass: ESP LTD F255 FM

I have been running 40 hz, limiter, and roughly around 75 on my input level, but i normally set it to about 2 feet from the speaker, centered. I am so close because i actually play alot at a reduced level, as i have a roommate, and 95% of my inspiration comes late at night.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can steer me in the right direction.

Also, a friend told me there should be a way that i can plug directly into it. I tried a 1/4 to 1/8 inch wire into the ext input, but couldnt get any sound. I could clearly see my db meter fluctuating as i hit notes, though. How would that work?

Again, thank you.

Hi Nicholas. I suppose you connected the 1/4" phones output with the 1/8" external input. You should be able to record this way, but I'm not sure if the DR-22 allows monitoring while recording.. Maybe that's why you did see the dB meter move.

The way to go IMO would be to connect the amp through the dedicated line out (with an XLR to 1/8" cable). That way you can still listen to your amp and its volume won't be reflected in the recording level.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online