DR-40 used to have a capacitor whine, and now it's dead

Radomir Jordanovic

From
Indianapolis, IN
Gear owned
DR-40
Hey, everyone! I'm new to the forums, but I really like Tascam gear except for this dead thing and hope to participate in the future. I'd like to get mine working again or replace it soon. I read a few posts and see that all you people have a huge supply of microphones and so much knowledge! So I'm really glad I came to this forum.

I used to hear an audible whine when 48V phantom power was on. I found a fix was to turn phantom power off and then back on again. Sometimes, it didn't happen. Recently, I used the recorder with two phantom power microphones on 4CH mode, and after I shut it off it just hasn't been turning back on again.

My suspicion is that there was a whining capacitor that finally gave out. Do you have experience with this, and have there been documented repairs in the past?

Thanks!

This sounds like something Tascam Service needs to see. My guess is that it is not user-repairable.

Thanks! I looked it up, and my recorder is out of warranty. There's some shop they recommend that's way out across the country, and the shop charges to look at it. No one else has had this problem?

New threads

Members online