DR07Mk2 input level picks up sound even at 0

stereoMike

Gear owned
dr07, dr07mk2. CDGTmk2
Anyone else notice this? Using the built in mics, set the input level at "0". All level controls "off" (no peak reduction, no limiter, no auto level). With this setting, the input level meters still respond to sounds and audio is recorded. Of course it's a very low level on the recording, but it's clearly there. Not really a deal breaker but it does kind of bother me that the "0" input level setting doesn't actually bottom out and pick up nothing.

I have the same experience with the DR60DMkII

Numerous companies have the same workflow - levels are seen even though the volume adjustment is at 0. I have this with my Behringer and Soundcraft equipment - this is the post pre-amp feed. But they are controllable by the volume knob. The TASCAM always shows the incoming audio signal and there seems no way to reduce it to zero at the XLR inputs.

stereoMike - If I find an explanation Ill let you know.

The input level control range of the DR-44WL is 50dB for mic-level inputs, 12dB for Line; some audio will always be recorded unless the channel is not selected during recording.

Last edited:
Reactions: stereoMike
"The input level control range of my DR-40WL is 50 dB for mic-level inputs, 12dB for Line; some audio will always be recorded unless the channel is not selected during recording." -GTBecker

Hey GTB, Where did you find that specific info? I suspect the input level control range on the DR07MK2 is something similar but I don't see any listing for it. Would like to find such a listing if there is one.

I found it experimentally, just playing with the machine. The DR-44WL Input Level mode provides an indication of the level change in dB (and also arbitrary units 0 to 100) as the level control knob is turned. If the level is set to maximum (arbitrary 100), then the Input Level mode is turned off and back on, then the level is set to the minimum (arbitrary 0), one will see -50dB (or -12dB for Line input) displayed.

I suspect you'll find the DR-07Mk2 ranges are similar although I don't see such an indicator on the DR-07Mk2. You might need to determine the change another way.

You can determine the range by recording an adjustable tone (perhaps generated by a smart phone app) with the input level set to max; adjust the tone source to just clip at the recorder (0dB) then reduce the input level control of the recorder to minimum while recording. Examine the resulting recording with any DAW software (like Audacity) to find the low level value which will correspond the the recorder control range.

Reactions: stereoMike
Hey GTB. Might fool around with that. The input level control on the DR07Mk2 is strictly digital. Arbitrary 0-90 using the << >> buttons. No analog type knobs on this model. May not work quite the same way but thanks for the idea.

New threads

Members online