DR22wl how to set the limit level

Adwb

Gear owned
Dr22
As as new owner I have been looking for info on the limiter and peaking functions, and while I understand the set the peaking and maximum input settings suggestion in the manual and in another thread ; this always seems to push the recording bars to the maximum, so I tried a lower input and got the maximum down recorders to -2 level.
What I do not understand is when you change to limit setting ,how do set that -2 ?
What do you use for input so you can set the sound to the previously found level ?
Probably me being very stupid but I have read the book so many times but still don’t get it.
Alistair

Tom, thank you I had read that thread but here goes :-

“Set the recorder to peak reduction mode with the input level maximized. Place and record the entire band rehearsal; the recorder will reduce the input level as required to capture the loudest passages. After the rehearsal, note the input level value that the recorder has determined.”
Where do I see that input level value to note down?

“Set the input level to that value (or perhaps a little less) in limiter mode when you record the formal event. The result should be a recording that captures the peaks without clipping distortion while maximizing dynamic range.”
I assume once I know the answer to the first question the passage above will make sense to me?

Not realy, I have read that several times, I assume you use the peaking and see what the highest number is and change to level and set a slightly lower value than the max one recorded in peaking

> ... this always seems to push the recording bars to the maximum...

If, in PEAK mode and Record or Record Standby, what happens to the indicated levels if you set the Input Level control to maximum and you allow the recorder to sit for some time, like 60 seconds? I expect that the displayed level will decrease as the recorder automatically desenses itself (as if it turns the Input Level control counterclockwise). Does that not occur?

BTW, what are you recording?

I am trying to record street sound for a back ground but I get a lot of clipping as vehicles pass , I can’t say I have noticed the sound levels dropping as you describe but that, is probably with hindsight ,due to the large variations in levels.
If that is occurring then would I still look for the highest peak recorded and set the level setting lower?

If the recorder is in Peak mode you shouldn't need to watch it - just let it do the work of reducing the input level as required. Over time you should find that it falls to a setting that is sufficient to safely encompass peaks that would previously be clipped. That's up to the circumstance of passing traffic so it might take several, or many, vehicles to get there.

You can see the current input level setting by rotating the Input Level knob; one click should pop up a bargraph and value near the bottom of the screen. Once the recorder has settled to a suitable level, look at that value to manually set in similar future recordings. Additionally, you might use Limiter mode then as a safety against particularly loud unanticipated events. Limiter mode will not change the Input Level value like Peak mode would, but it will reduce or prevent clipping above 0dB.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online