DR40 System error 50

Eddie M

Gear owned
DR40
Chances are that someone else has mentioned this but I can't find it. Has anyone had this code and been able to do anything about getting their DR40 to work again? I unplugged/replugged with power supply and batteries. I'm new here and not up to speed on how you deal with these kinds of issues, so thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Eddie

Here is a brain dump on what I have on hand about this error. i.e. I haven't had to use this but it's information I keep saved. I have a DR-40 since 2016 and it had some sudden shutdown bugs long ago that went away on their own, but I haven't had a system error.

• On the DR-100 "System Error 50" is listed as a possible error in the firmware. (from pg 16 of the DR-100 Service Manual)

• On the DR-1 some users got "System Error 50" and one user cured it by removing the memory card and fully formatting it on another DR-1 in one case. Another DR-1 user formatted the card using a card reader with his PC. FAT only. Don't use any other format option.

• On the DR-40 - You can enter the Test Mode in the following manner.

DR-40 Test Mode
press both |<< and Quick before holding down HOME to power up

My eyes glaze over when I scroll the test mode and navigation is tricky at first but if you can get the unit started in the Test Mode maybe venture into Card Format:
Once you're in Test Mode's home screen- press Menu.
That brings up a list - first item SW --------- Card Press >> to jog over Card
Press Enter. Three choices. 3rd choice REC -------- Format. Press REC.
At Are You Sure? press Enter. It will now display FAT Format..
Wait for it. My 32 GB card took just about 15 seconds sitting on FAT Format..
When it's complete you can press Enter to see the information from your SD card's specs.
Or press Enter to back out. Hold down Power/Home to shut down.

My firmware is 2.50 0242 from 2019. You can check yours on boot up if you are fast or find it in the Test Menu top level as BG ---------- Version.

GOOD LUCK!! If it works please tell us what you did.

Thanks Art -
Error 50 seems to be a card issue for DR40. I took the opportunity to do some housekeeping ( tough for me ) and edited my SD card through a card reader and computer, and saved everything I wanted to keep in one folder on the computer. This was the original card and has never been fully erased or re-formatted. When I put the card back in the DR40 it said "no music" or "no files", damn if I remember which but the opening recording screen was there. Then I could use the DR40 menu to get to "SYSTEM" and thence to FORMAT and executed the FULL FORMAT. That takes about 20 minutes or so and now I've got my baby back. It would be nice if Tascam offered a list of what the SYSTEM ERROR codes mean for various units and what we can do to go at least one step further. I've written to them but the online SUPPORT queue is likely miles long. If I hear from them this year I'll let you know. Going out on a limb here, since this unit is from around 2014 it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to upgrade the firmware. Thanks for taking the time to give us all some options. I'll be saving your valuable info.

I'm glad you got the unit working again. I save a bunch of Notepad.txt files with anecdotal content I have copied from forums over the years for various bits of sound and camera equipment, much of it is obsolete but they are things I still use or would like to use again - to give them another kick at the can, so to speak. Yes, get on to that firmware upgrade Eddie. :)

New threads

Members online