Dual mono mics into a stereo jack on a DR-22WL; is it possible?

trikepilot

Gear owned
DR-22WL
I am running a Sony ECM CS3 stereo electret condenser mic as an external mic for my DR-22WL field recorder. I want to get more separation between the channels and possibly even record one primary sound on the left channel and a secondary sound on the right channel. Even though the unit does not have separate left and right level controls I think I can find a happy medium whereby a set level will give me a good input on both channels, especially if I am careful with my mic placement.

I am considering wiring up an adapter cable which would capture the left element of one CS3 mic and send it to the recorder's tip connection and another CS3 mic right element's signal sent to the ring terminal. After splicing both grounds together on the sleeve of the jack, will the plug in power of the recorder power both mics?

I know that I could use mono mics but if the cable assembly were to fail then I could still always plug either one of the stereo mics into the recorder and be back in business. What do you think, will this work?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.