Dying 2488neo vs dp24sd

Randy Turner

Gear owned
2488neo, dp24sd, dp01
Last week my trusty 2488neo emitted a strong odor... clearly the smell of burning wire (not like drive bearings). It's strong enough to fill an 8x11 room, and is strongest just above the track 10 & 11 record buttons. First question: is this common to dying 2488neo's ? Am I looking at finding an e-waste collector and abandoning the neo?

Second question: I'm 99% sure I will buy a DP24SD this month to replace the neo. Controls, features, etc seem just about what I want/need. What I don't quite understand is the SD part of it, so my question is how do you all handle SD cards when you're working on, say, 7 separate songs. Doesn't that completely fill up a 32gb SD card? Am I wrong that the SD's are essentially the replacement for the neo harddrive?

Thanks -

Reactions: Steven L. Stevens
I don't have any advice regarding the 2488.

However, regarding the DP-24/32SD machines... once you find a good stable SD card - there shouldnt necessarily be a concern of space on the card because of the ease with which you can move song data back and forth from DP to computer. It's a snap.

The smell of burnt electronics is certainly not a good sign, and since component-level repair of the 2488 could be quoted at more than the value of the machine, your decision to replace the defective unit with a DP24SD is a wise choice.

The SD card in the DP24 SD does replace the hard drive storage used in earlier Tascam recorders. If you prefer to record each of your intended songs on a separate SD cars, you could format several SD cards, and swap them in for each song in turn, although you could indeed record several songs on a single SD card.

Tascam recorders are very finicky about the BRAND NAME of the SD card used, and there is a list somewhere in this forum, of all the SD card brand names that are known to be compatible with the DP24SD and the DP32SD

I think you will happy with your decision to move to the DP24SD. Your 2488 Neo will most likely cost you almost as much as the SD version should you send it to an
"authorized" repair center. Personally, I would open it up and survey the internals and see what failed. Since you say it "smoked" you may have a good visual indication of the area of failure (blown cap, diode, ...) . I have repaired several 2488 Neo's but each of them exhibited different problems and none had "smoked". You have an anomaly for sure.

Reactions: Randy Turner
Thanks tons everyone. Much appreciated. I'll assume y'all standardize on 32gb SDs. And I'll dig around to find the approved "stable" brands.

Just fyi that when I pulled the old 2488 apart there was nothing obvious that would cause the distinct and powerful burning smell. Pulled the HD just for use elsewhere, and the rest is on its way to 2488 heaven. DP24sd ordered... have watched all the Phil Tipping clips... re-reading geoff emerick's book... stir crazy....

May it Rest in Peace :)! They were good machines in their time but they have been eclipsed by newer (but not necessarily functionally better) technology. Good luck with the new machine! I have an original DP-24 and DP-32 and love them.

Reactions: Randy Turner

New threads

Members online

No members online now.