Effects routing

kevin higgins

Gear owned
dm24 dm3200
Hi Guys, my second post here. I need guidance regarding getting the internal effects working. I'm not exactly new at this. I've owned the DM-24 for a long while and had reverb then (TC Works, internal), but now with the DM-3200 I'm stymied how to get the reverb. I've tried following the owner's manual and the pictures. No luck. My instinct tells me I don't have command of the use of the encoder knobs regarding sending signal to the auxes. Can someone walk me through the exact steps necessary to make it happen? My sources are from Slot 1 or 2 (via adat cables) from a Fostex D2424LV. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Hey Kevin,
To send out a copy of any track's signal to your effects, like reverb, and be able to mix it in, try this....

First, go to your keypad and select EFFECT. Now press the "EFF1...LIB" tab to select whatever effect you want in effect 1. I like the Reverb "Hall-Medium Warm" in Effect 1. Do the same for effect 2. I like a delay here, like "Vocal Echo 1" or "doubling".

Now, go to ALT/Routing/Output Tab. On the right select AUX. In the middle select EFF SEND1. On the left select AUX 5 (for spot 1) and AUX6 (for spot 2)

Now move the middle curser down to EFF SEND2. On the left, select AUX7 (for spot 1) and AUX8 (for spot 2).

Next, go to your AUX layer and move the faders for 5/6 and 7/8 up to unity. Make Sure you "pair" them for stereo. Do NOT assign them to the stereo buss here.

Now, you will need to assign two STEREO pairs of channels for the stereo effect returns from EFF1 and EFF2. It really doesn't matter where they go, I currently have mine set to 39/40 and 41/42. Make sure you pair these for stereo and assign THESE to your stereo buss. Bring those faders up to unity.

Now, your encoders are probably set to PAN. Select the channel you want to add effects to. Look over to the encoder buttons, labeled "Encoder Mode" and press the second button down labeled "AUX". Now look back at your selected channel's encoder knobs. You should see the 5th encoder from the left with a dot under it. Same for the 6th from the left. These are your stereo pans for your effect sends from that channel. The encoders just to the right of the pans (6th and 8th from the left) are the channel sends to your effects. With something playing into the channel you want effects on, slowly turn up encoder knob 6. You will hear the reverb coming into view. Now turn up knob 8. Your assigned delay will now also be coming into view. There you go.

BTW!!!! This is also a great way to set up a separate mix for your players to record to. If you want to send a separate stereo mix to go out of ASSN send 1/2, set up AUX 1/2 the same way you did above, just like AUX 5/6, except you will want to send the output of AUX 1/2 out to ASSN send 1/2. (Use the middle knob on the routing page for this) Now, you can have one mix for your CR, via the stereo buss and each channels faders, while you also have a mix specifically set for your talent using Encoder 1 sending that channel through ASSN Sends 1/2 to their headphones, complete with panning.
S

The encoders are a blast to mess with. Have fun, hope that helps.

Reactions: Reginald Watson
Hey TascMan, I wanted to thank you for the in depth reply. When I get time I will study and experiment / apply all of your suggestions. Really appreciate your time. Best, Kevin

Hi TascMan
Your explanation is very helpfull... can help me with a similar problem:confused:
How do i connect/ route external effects into the DM 4800?
Got an outboard rack connected to the AUX send/ return 5-8
Signal goes into the rack- meters are reading
But i cannot get the signal back into the mixer...(the routing drives me crazy)
Can you talk me through please?

Hi TascMan,
Great explanation for routing the internal effects !Can help me to configure the routing of external effects into the DM 4800? Thank you very much !
Best wishes from germany
Marc

Hi TascMan
Your explanation is very helpfull... can help me with a similar problem:confused:
How do i connect/ route external effects into the DM 4800?
Got an outboard rack connected to the AUX send/ return 5-8
Signal goes into the rack- meters are reading
But i cannot get the signal back into the mixer...(the routing drives me crazy)
Can you talk me through please?

You have to designate AUX Return channels on the DM4800. I do this with a patch bay, I also use the analog cards to send external effects signals to the board. When you assign the AUX returns, you do it in the Input Tab of the Routing screen. Select the last four channels - like 60-64 and Put AUX RTN in those channel from the bottom right of the Routing Screen. Then you will be able to bring the effects in. Always remember to have the AUX # with the effects match the AUX # in the channel/ track you want to effect.

For example, on track 3 you have a snare drum you want to apply reverb to. If you have reverb going through on AUX 5, turn up AUX 5 on the snare track.

There ya go.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Hey jamsire,
excuse me for my bad english .... I own the DM 4800 since three weeks and have learned the most things in this forum ....
So, let me explain you my actual setup.

Sony HR-MP5 In & Outputs are in ASN 1 & 2 (Send & Return)
My Idea was to route it to an AUX Bus, so that i can use the effect on every channel like the internal effects.

Can you explain how is the right way ? Do i have to use Routing/Insert Tab to configure it ?
Thank you very much !
Marc

If you have it setup the way you are saying - all you have to do is turn up the AUX/ASN 1 & 2 on the channels you want the effects on. You can do that on the surface with all of the AUX knobs, or on the individual channel module and select the AUX tab. If you want reverb on channel 6, touch that fader in the module mode and simply turn up AUX 1 & 2.

Good luck.

Tascam 4800 Effect Routing for Dummies ;-)
I´m so confused ...
So, if I understand you right, if i do the following steps:

1. Connect the Sony HR-MP5 or other effect gear to ASN 1&2 (Sends & Returns) for Example
2. No other routing options like configure the Routing/Insert Tab /Sends & Returns or assigning any Inputs ??
3. Then I only turn up the AUX 1&2 Faders

I tried this and it didn't work ... You wrote before, that i have to "Put AUX RTN in those channel from the bottom right of the Routing Screen" ...
Also I don't know how to put a AUX Return in a channel ...

The Internal Effects 1&2 are working well and i understand how this routing works ...
Perhaps you can tell me step by step how to configure this thing ;-)
Thank you very much
Marc

The setup is exactly the same as the internal. You said you had a send and return setup on Asn 1&2 so I didn't feel like I needed to go into it. Again, just apply the same settings as you have for the internal effects and you'll be happy.

Tascam 4800 Effect Routing for Dummies ;-)
I´m so confused ...
So, if I understand you right, if i do the following steps:

1. Connect the Sony HR-MP5 or other effect gear to ASN 1&2 (Sends & Returns) for Example
2. No other routing options like configure the Routing/Insert Tab /Sends & Returns or assigning any Inputs ??
3. Then I only turn up the AUX 1&2 Faders

I tried this and it didn't work ... You wrote before, that i have to "Put AUX RTN in those channel from the bottom right of the Routing Screen" ...
Also I don't know how to put a AUX Return in a channel ...

The Internal Effects 1&2 are working well and i understand how this routing works ...
Perhaps you can tell me step by step how to configure this thing ;-)
Thank you very much
Marc

Hey,
I`ve gone back to Zero and started at the beginning ....
Routing like Internal Effects - And it works !!!
Thank you very much for your Support !

Glad it works. Now PLEASE - go make a mazing music and make the world a better place with it - we need to hear it.

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online

No members online now.