Electricity

Foggy Dawg

Gear owned
DP-24SD
Although I am new to the recording culture, I have a bit of experience using expensive and delicate electrical components.

I have read a lot of posts on the forum describing various malfunctions while the unit is operating. Obviously, I’m not qualified to diagnose these issues.

However, when I sit back and appreciate all the capability of my DP-24SD, its compact size, and its relative affordable price point, I most definitely classify this unit as “Electrically Delicate”.

We’ve all seen the old movies where the mad scientist throws the power lever and the lights dim. That’s a visible power surge, and although we may not see our lights dim, when various electrical demands on the grid cycle it affects the electricity in our homes. Additionally, when various electrical components in our homes cycle, it could surge the electricity to our instruments, amplifiers and recording equipment.

Most of us don’t realize how filthy, unregulated, and unconditioned the electricity going into our homes is. All of my musical equipment, and now my recording equipment runs through Furman power REGULATORS, that not only cleans and conditions the electricity it insure a constant and even source of power. I was basically forced into these units years ago playing dive bars.

And let’s not overlook the detrimental effects of electrostatic discharge. It’s become a S.O.P. for me to ground or electrically neutralize myself before entering my studio.

We’ve all heard the old saying “Were only as strong (pure/clean) as the weakest link in our chain.” When you look around your studio and add up your investment it doesn’t take long to realize its sizable. And the one common denominator between most if not all of this equipment? Yea, most of it requires that magical stuff called electricity.

Great advice, FD!

My DP-24SD is new. I actually recorded a test on it today! Too early to comment on its reliability. My old D3200 lasted almost 15 years, before the buttons became unpredictable.

I am a big believer in protecting electronics. Our computers, our TV, and my recording gear are all protected by UPS units. I am familiar with the Furman name, though I have not used their products.

Here's what I do. I go to a thrift store and buy an old computer UPS unit, typically an APC brand. I often see them for around $5. Stores usually have an outlet where you can plug up an appliance to see if it works. I get new battery from Amazon for about $10. Good for a few years.

Electronics seem to last forever when they are cared for.

BTW, I hear the UPS in the living room "click" - transfer to battery power due to a sag or spike, almost every evening.

I live in Scandinavia - our mains voltage never varies more than +/- 5% and is spike free, so we are quite fortunate.

But with regard to the Tascam (in my case the 2488 Neo) It is an amazing system for the money, but does indeed seem to be quite delicate. For example the membrane switches should be pressed only lightly. Oh, and ALWAYS use the correct shut down routine,
even if you have just been doing playbacks and not recorded anything new. Otherwise, next time you start up, your system may not be able to find the HD, or, some keys will not work. The only solution is a hard reset, which also formats the disk!! I make backups after every session

I was very tempted by buy a DP-24 but it seems that now only the SD version is available, and I need MIDI TC.

Iain

New threads

Members online

No members online now.