EQ Plugins For Tascam Model 24

This is the point. I think Tascam designers had a specific use case in mind where using the Model desk connected to a DAW would see all the sound design operations done in-the-box, EQ included.
Or that the EQ would be applied during the mix with the analog console. If the console both recorded and played back through the EQ via USB, Tascam would have to open a new department to handle all the support inquires about why the tracks don't sound the way they were recorded.

Reactions: Max Relic
I haven't purchased any studio monitors for my Tascam Model 24 yet, but I'm assuming the EQ does translate from the board to the monitors when running live sound, right? If they took that concept to the individual tracks on the board and made it possible to record the EQ straight from the board into your DAW via USB, that would be ideal.
The Models series are plain consoles; 16, 24 are analog, 12 is digital. They operate like any other live mixer, basically.

IMO (as a professional recording engineer and producer) that would not be ideal at all for the reasons I have previously stated. It's an analog console and one has to manually "zero out" the console every time. Nevertheless Tascam designed it as such and it is what it is. At this point, the discussion is wearing thin. This should have been a "Wish List" post (see the stickies), and I may end up moving it there.

I am not sure if a couple of Model 12 would work with a DAW, for sure they could not be synchronized/slaved.
Right. No encoders or motorized faders. Although a system of settings matching could have been implemented, but not at this cost level. I think what @Jake Wienhold really wants is a Behringer X32.

Reactions: Max Relic
@Jake Wienhold, You can get an analog to Dante interface and then use the analog I/Os on the console to connect to the DAW that way. It would be complex and expensive to do, but it would give you the capability to send the analog output sounds to the DAW. Dante Audio Networking is quite amazing.

Okay. Exactly. I'm talking about using the console as a mixer with everything EQ'd to work in the box in your DAW. I'm curious about something else. When you have your EQ set when recording to SD card, does that EQ take effect during recording or is EQ only during playback? I guess it would be tedious to reset all of the EQ back to zero every time to avoid double EQing everything.

Or that the EQ would be applied during the mix with the analog console. If the console both recorded and played back through the EQ via USB, Tascam would have to open a new department to handle all the support inquires about why the tracks don't sound the way they were recorded.
Agree. I'm sure I've already seen this topic discussed on another forum. An EQ bypass switch would help in some case.

Reactions: -mjk-
Right. No encoders or motorized faders. Although a system of settings matching could have been implemented, but not at this cost level. I think what @Jake Wienhold really wants is a Behringer X32.
No motorized knobs, but the option to choose the send point pre/post EQ would be an answer to @Jake Wienhold 's issue. Or even better get a mixer with the desired specs. Personally I wouldn't record equalized anymore like I used to do in the 4-track recording era. YMMV ;)

What you want is a digital console with encoders and motorized faders.
If I've learned anything from the smart guyz here on the forum, it's to understand both your workflow/needs/intentions - AND to carefully evaluate your potential gear purchases to ensure that they'll meet your needs/wishes...

Okay. Exactly. I'm talking about using the console as a mixer with everything EQ'd to work in the box in your DAW. I'm curious about something else. When you have your EQ set when recording to SD card, does that EQ take effect during recording or is EQ only during playback? I guess it would be tedious to reset all of the EQ back to zero every time to avoid double EQing everything.
If you are using the USB interface to record you don't have to worry about that. But, if your wish was granted, you would record the EQ onto the tracks in the DAW via USB and then you would have the tracks playing back through USB with the EQ added.

Recording engineering is complex sometimes.

Question: Can you record separate tracks on the SD card with EQ?

Agree. I'm sure I've already seen this topic discussed on another forum. An EQ bypass switch would help in some case.
I'm surprised there is no On/Off PB for the EQ.

[...] you would record the EQ onto the tracks in the DAW via USB and then you would have the tracks playing back through USB with the EQ added [...]
Maybe I forgot to highlight one common aspect of the M16-M24 signal path that newcomers should have clear. Being the USB send/return point fixed the signal is actually recorded clean and played back equalized. But if it was possible to record the signal equalized then it would be played back post-EQ, in other words the send/return point would be located a step forward in the signal path therefore the double-EQ scenario should not happen unless some process is done in the DAW.

What would change the playback to post-EQ?

Stock Model16/24 have the ADC send/DAC return point pre-EQ and it can't be changed without circuit modifications, in which case one could choose to record equalized to DAW, have the recorded signal play back with further processing in the digital domain and then send it to the Model16/24 post-EQ for the mix. It's a purely hypothetical scenario in which the analog EQ stage is not needed because all but the mix is done in the box (DAW).

New threads

Members online

No members online now.