EQ

EeMm

The other night I attempted to use the equaliser when I was recording a drum track into the stereo tracks. I set everything up like usual, fine tuning the source and then getting the machine ready to record, and then just prior to recording, I turned on the mixer and my EQ fine tuning. My goal was to add just a smidge bit few decibles of top/high end to the recording. I tested the sound of the incoming source frequencies, the music, immediately prior to recording, along with the addictional EQ high end boost, and it was to my liking. Then after I tested the sound of it and I was satisfied with it, I proceeded onward with recording. The recording went smooth and satisfactory, until, I played the recorded track. The recording was fine, however, much to my disappointment, the EQ was not applied to it. Therefore my questions here are: How do I or even can I apply EQ to a track when recording? Can I, and if I can then how do I, add equaliser to a track after it's already recorded? Can I record that track in bounce mode using EQ, into another empty track? Can I just add EQ to a specific track during mixdown mode? If anyone here can please answer any of these questions here then I'd really appreciate it.

Your questions:
(1) ...can I apply EQ to a track when recording?

Yes. EQ the selected Input assigned to the track.

(2) Can I add equaliser to a track after it's already recorded?
Yes, but you can't record the EQ onto the already recorded track. see #3 and #4.

(3) Can I record that track in bounce mode using EQ, into another empty track?
Yes, you can add EQ when bouncing a previously recorded track to an empty track.

(4) Can I just add EQ to a specific track during mixdown mode?
Yes.

I think you'll find the How do I's through the link below. When you go to the link, click on "playlist", then scroll through the tutorials (elements of #3A&B, #4, #6A&B, #8A, #9, & #10 may be the most helpful). http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dp-24-32sd-tutorial-videos.4475/

Last edited:
Reactions: EeMm
Thank you so much for the link to all of the excellent tutorials. I really appreciate your answers to my questions and also the link. I watched all of them and they answered all of my questions regarding this. The only thing that he mentioned for which I'm still quite unsure of though, is whether or not the effects (If I learned correctly, they will be enabled as 'post' 'send effects') can be used for already recorded stereo tracks. Initially, I had recorded/tracked the drums to a stereo track, so now at this point, since I'm already satisfied with the quality of the recording, it makes the most sense to just bounce it to another stereo track or of course just add it to the mixdown, with the EQ effect, if I can do that. If the machine allows me to add EQ in an already recorded stereo track when bouncing and/or during mixdown, then the tutorials clearly explain how to perform that processing task.

Tutorials 9 and 10 are really what I'm focusing on now at this point, even though I did watch the others that you recommended. In the future when recording though I'll certainly use the input.

In the mixdown and mastering tutorial he gives an example with him enabling a send effect, however, the track that he uses is a mono track.

EeMm, glad the videos were useful. Stereo tracks can be used exactly like mono tracks... just select them before adjusting the EQ, Pan/Balance or Send knobs. Each control affects both left & right sides of the selected stereo track. Note the send signal from a stereo track is converted to mono before being sent to Eff Send 1 or 2.

The tutorials that you did are absolutely fabulous, thanks for the intellect and the time that you put into doing them.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Thanks also for your advice here. I must ask though, in order to bounce my already recorded stereo track into a vacant stereo track, along with an added EQ high, do I use only the Eff Send 1, and have the setting for it at zero?

If you're just adding EQ during the bounce, then there's no need for any Send signals. Bouncing does not rely on the send system so you're best turning them both off for the track(s) you are using as the source of the bounce. You only need the Sends if you want to either add the internal send effect, e.g. reverb, and/or add an external effect connected to either Eff Send 1 or 2 or both.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.