Eqing

Wayne Tadman

Gear owned
Dp03sd
Hi all
Could someone tell me if there is any benefit in Eqing while recording or is it best left until mix down?
Also with only two frequencies available on the dp03, are there any essential frequencies that should be used for vocal.
Cheers

Reactions: -mjk-
The best way to get a good vocal sound is to record it sounding the way you like it. Meaning, choosing the microphone you like for your voice and using it the way it sounds good to you.

As an example, most mics have a 'proximity effect' - that is that the sound gets warmer (more low frequencies are picked up or exaggerated) as you get closer while singing into them. That can be used instead of EQ: if you back away a bit from the mic you are effectively changing your vocal sound. Make use of this - and then when mixing time comes it might still be that you need a bit of EQ to separate the vocal from other sounds in the same frequency spectrum. But it's always best to approximate the sound you want during the recording - without EQ.

@Wayne Tadman Welcome to the Tascam Forums. @Arjan P just gave you some very valuable guidance. "EQ" means "equalization" and the intent is for an engineer to be able to adjust the spectrum to make up for shortcomings in the recording chain. Of course, modern engineers use EQ as sophisticated tone controls. Generally, less is better. Use mic selection and placement to try and get the best sounds you can get initially. Use EQ sparingly, especially if you have a new setup and are learning how it sounds and translates into the real world. In the end, trust your ears. Put the EQ where you need it, but typically after you have applied good engineering practices first.

Reactions: Arjan P
Thanks guys.
I had an old tascam cassette 4 track years ago and bounced, compressed and eqed the hell out of the tracks. I sounded appalling.
Happy to say the recording on the dp03 is in a different league but I know it could be a lot better.
The condenser mic I have is a chinese thing and although pretty impressive for £40, as compared to what you could get for the same price in the late 80's, maybe its time to invest a bit more.
Rode nt1 has good reviews?
Once again thanks for your input

Reactions: -mjk-
Rode NT1 gets a lot of love. It's Aussie made too :)

I like my SE X1 LDC, cheap,does a good job.

Reactions: Wayne Tadman
One option is to use an EQ vocal pedal in your chain, such as a TC Helicon T1, which polishes the tone and dynamics as you record.

New threads

Staff online

Members online