Erasing marks and songs

stormy-dream

Gear owned
DP-24
I am tring to delete "Marks".. as per the manual, it says " just line up the marks that you set and push "mark".. not working...also, I make a new song, as in "song 2" record and it saves, but I can't erase it by going to menu and go to erase,
I get " cannot erase current song" what am I doing wrong? HELP !! driving me crazy! .....Thanks !

To erase a track you need to load a different track than the one your trying to erase.
For instance load song 1, then go to song 2, Enter the menu and erase.

As for erasing marks i had a problem with this too but as far as i remember you just put a mark over an existing mark and it should erase the old mark.

Good luck!

To get rid of those marks, use the REW or F FWD buttons to jump to the mark. Then press the mark button only once. If you press it twice, it will remove the mark then put it back. You won't see that the mark is gone until you move away from that spot. It's important to use the REW or F FWD buttons to line up on the mark. You can use the jog wheel, but if it's not exactly on the mark, you may end up putting another mark next to the one you want gone. You will then have two marks, but it will look like only one.

If you think you may have more than one mark, while in the timeline screen, press the CURSOR > button several times to zoom in and get a better look. If you see more than one mark, then use the REW or F FWD buttons to jump to the marks and then get rid of them. Then press the CURSOR < button several times to zoom back out.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: sproket
Tony E is right. The trick is to find the Mark with the REW and FFWD buttons, not the JOG wheel.

Excuse me for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm having this same issue.

The Tascam DP-32SD Owner's Manual states on page 51:

-------

Deleting a location mark

You can delete marks when the recorder is stopped.

1. Press the F FWD (,) or REW (m) button to move to the mark that you want to delete.

2. Press the MARK SET button to delete the location mark.

-------

Sometimes this works, but more often than not it refuses to delete location marks. Needless to say, it's extremely annoying to have marks where they are no longer required.

I contacted Tascam Support via email, who advised me to set the In/Out marks to zero then try deleting the other marks I created. I did so and then starting from zero, used the FF key and pressed "Mark Set" on each one. The location marks were being deleted, yay!

But, UH OH.

When I run into the last three marks near the end of the song, they refuse to delete. The really strange part is, I can go to any of those three marks using FF or REW then press “Mark Set” and the mark number text at the top of the screen (MARK XX) disappears along with the red mark on the timeline display, just as if the mark was indeed deleted. But, when FF or REW are pressed, the transport still stops at those times as if the marks were still there.

I am running the latest firmware (V1.01), although this issue existed with the original firmware as well. Tascam support is now suggesting I send the unit in for service, but it's out of warranty so I don't want to go that route. This sure seems like some sort of firmware issue to me anyway, but who knows. Everything else on the recorder functions perfectly.

As a side note, does anyone know if there's a way to perform a “factory reset” on this recorder? I know you can reset preferences in that menu, but I’m talking about a total, fresh out of the box reset. I suspect not, as I can’t find anything in the manual about it, although that sort of thing is often undocumented. Just a thought, maybe that would fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Not sure about manual marks without running some tests, but other time locations are remembered automatically such as last-recorded time, so maybe these are the culprits?
Re. factory reset, the only way I've found is to load a dummy song which has been saved with all settings set to zero (or whatever you want), see this post.

thanks for the reply!!

....i already found the solution
you can always change the position of the in/out locators....just by setting new position...
that's perfect!
i was stuck trying to erase them . . .

the normal mark set position you can erase by << or >> to it and then press -mark set-

Last edited:
1. Thanks for the very valuable info that did not seem to be found in the manual to clear the marks set (in Yellow)
2. After deleting them I find a few RED marks that seem to act as in and out marks. How do I get rid of those?
Thanks

I'm running into an issue similar to this, and I see no one has answered it since mobster posted 8 months ago.

Here is my situation:

-- I have set some marks and found that I can't really get rid of them. I can delete the labels themselves ("mark 01", "mark 02" etc) but the locations themselves are still "invisibly" marked (per previous posts). However, creating new marks does not delete or move the old ones. They remain there, and if I am at a place before those unmarked (i.e. "invisible") locations and hit the FFWD in order to jump to my (labeled) location, it stops at the previous unmarked location first, and I have to hit it again. (I will look into Phil's suggestion regarding the factory reset once I have saved my current song. However, that seems like a "workaround" to something that needs a firmware fix. i.e. you should not have to do a reset to clear up leftover Marks that interfere with what you are doing.)

-- I was able to a successful auto punch at one point. But it appeared to have left the Red marks/dots behind at the punch in/out points. And those marks were interfering with newer Marks I was using.

-- At some point, I found that you could move those Red marks out of the way by setting a mark at the beginning of the song... it pushed the first Red mark to location 00:00:00. I then went to the end of the song and did the same thing. I set a new Mark, and it pushed the second Red Mark to the end of the song.

-- This prevented the Red marks from interfering with other marks I was needing to use ... until I had to do another auto punch.

-- Now, after I arm the Track, then set the punch in and out marks, hit Auto Punch and set the pre roll (6 sec) and post roll (2 sec), I press play. I expect it to jump to the pre-roll point and play until the punch in mark, whereby the record light should come on.

Instead, I hit the Play button and it jumps to the Red Mark at the beginning of the song (00:00 NOT the pre roll location). I then listen to a few minutes of the song until it hits the punch in mark. but it just ignores the punch in mark. i.e. the recorder light does not come on. Oddly enough, it continues playing until it hits the punch out mark (which now has the second Red mark on it) and the playing just stops dead (no post-roll) at that point without ever having recorded anything.

Thanks,
Stephen

I was able to get around this by just pushing the Red Mark back to the end of the recording and then just punching in and out manually.

Now that I finished the song, I will put a new card in and format it and do a Factory Reset. Hopefully that will clear up all my problems. At least if I can figure out what USB cable to by.

Thank you Stephen. Your suggestions helped quite a bit. I couldn't get rid of quite all of the marks and red marks but have just a couple now and have been able to set the IN at zero. Your level-headedness is much appreciated.

Does anyone know of a safe firmware fix for current issues like this?

Thanks, but you should take what I said there with a huge grain of salt. At the time, I had recently purchased the Tascam and was just trying to figure things out based on a very sparsely documented manual.

I really don't think its useful that the Tascam leaves ALL the old temporary (and no longer needed) marks behind, and I just gave up on trying to figure out how to delete them. I just push the FF button numerous times to get where I want.

The "red marks" are the current auto-record in/out points. If they are not currently needed they can be pushed to the front or end of the track to get them out of the way until you are ready to do another punch-in/out, and I believe there are recommendations on how to delete them posted above. But again, I usually just ignore them until they are ready to be reset. Its mostly just a matter of annoyance to me.

If you do a lot of different tracks with a lot of auto-punch in/outs, the green line at the top that shows you where you are currently playing from gets riddled with lots of "holes" where old location marks were. At some point it gets ridiculously difficult to tell where you are at due to all these spots all over the song-line.

There is a steep learning curve with this machine, due partially at least to the number of features they packed into it, as well as some poor design decisions. But its a great machine at a really good price, and I have totally enjoyed working with it, doing things I could have never done before on my old 4-track cassette machine.

So, good luck! With a little patience you can do some really cool stuff with this machine.

Thank you, Stephen. It is indeed a long way from my old 4-track. I got a Tascam 8-track digital machine four years back and it took me a while to figure that one out. The 24 is indeed loaded with features, and I feel lucky to have it. Thanks for sharing your experience and getting back to me so quickly.

I do a lot of manual punching with the footswitch, and I often change the place in the song where I punch in/out based on sonics due to artifacts (these machines are not as fast as any of the 2" machines in familiar with) i.e. "punch marks." The machine places a location mark at everyone of these points. I don't bother with the undo function; I simply re-record basically because I'm old-school, and it's faster to just keep going. So, by the time I'm finished fixing a punched in section, I have maybe five or 10 extra marks within a few seconds timeframe in the song. Really annoying. I wish I could clear all marks with a button!

Honestly, the "last record" function is totally useless. Who listens back from the exact moment the record button was pressed? I always roll back to hear the transition. I wish I could turn that useless function off. I have preroll set where I like it. I don't need automatic marks where I punched in. Does anyone?

Last edited:
I successfully deleted all my marks. But, the last one (not an in or out set mark) didn't go away until I started the machine later.

God if I had known this unit was so buggy I would have made a different choice. I delete one mark and four others showed up. I was up like 40 something in a matter of seconds. Not sure what happened but I was finally able to erase all the two ghost marks that are so close that even zooming out to erase them did nothing. Now they appear do not show up as a numbered mark.

At this point I am going to wait for a foot switch to come in and just not do any auto punch ins. God I hate wasting time with faulty equipment. Saving up for a DAW system at that point I'll just use this for capturing tracks.

The most recent posts in this thread are old and the rest are very old. Like several FW versions old.

I suggest checking to make sure you're running the latest firmware before you give up on your portastudio.

If you follow the OM instructions precisely for locating a manually created physical mark, then deleting marks is a snap. I've never had an issue with located and deleting marks.

See also my post #28 in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glen Peladeau
God if I had known this unit was so buggy I would have made a different choice. I delete one mark and four others showed up. I was up like 40 something in a matter of seconds. Not sure what happened but I was finally able to erase all the two ghost marks that are so close that even zooming out to erase them did nothing. Now they appear do not show up as a numbered mark.

At this point I am going to wait for a foot switch to come in and just not do any auto punch ins. God I hate wasting time with faulty equipment. Saving up for a DAW system at that point I'll just use this for capturing tracks.

I hear you. That can be frustrating.

If you eventually want to sell that faulty sd32 - please let me know.

Last edited:
I m pretty sure I am up to date on the version. I'll check. Thanks. I was thinking that the auto punch cue points were separate from the location markers. I erase the location markers to create new ones for the auto punch in. That does not seem to work. I can't get rid of my old auto punch in. The unit does not seem to be overwriting the old marks or something. God I miss the old 24" 2" tape with the auto locate remote. That was the good ole days. Anyone?

New threads

Members online